What farm task do kids today know nothing about.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
Saw something similar on FB, thought we could start a farming version. Some to start..

Pitching hay with a pitchfork

Using a trip rake

Driving a team of animals

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about.
Hand milking a cow

Cutting down trees with an axe

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #3  
Depends, are they farm kids or kids who have never been on a farm? Most kids who have never been on a farm couldn't pick the pitchfork out of a lineup of tools.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #4  
Washing out burlap fertilizer bags so that they can be used to hold small grains as they are being combined.

Riding on a tractor-drawn combine, installing empty bags, switching the discharge outlet, tying off bags filled with a small grain, sending the filled bags down a chute, and repeat.

Loading burlap bags filled with a small grain on a wagon, unloading burlap bags filled with a small grain, etc.

Taking wheat to a flour mill to have it ground into flour for home consumption.

Picking cotton by hand.

Starting a tractor via a hand crank.

Steve

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #5  
Saw something similar on FB, thought we could start a farming version. Some to start..

Pitching hay with a pitchfork

Using a trip rake

Driving a team of animals

Hadn't thought about the old trip rakes in a long time! My Grand Dad had one that he pulled behind his tractor. I remember him letting me ride on the rake and if I recall correctly, the rider could trip it with his foot. This video shows one without a rider. I also noticed the dog running along behind. I also recall that this was common on the farms when I was a kid. Farmer's dogs ran along beside the implement. They also used a lot of the old sickle bar mowers back then, so three-legged farm dogs were fairly common also.

McCormick-Deering Type "M" Self-Dump Hay Rake - YouTube

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #6  
marking/castrating pigs
gathering eggs
wringing a chickens neck
picking peas
plowing the back 40
eating chitlins, hog brains with scrambled eggs (hot breakfast every morning, not a pop tart)

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #7  
I don't really know since I didn't grow up on a farm, and it's all been trial and error for me getting my farm going. The one thing that I've noticed over and over again when looking for help is a lack of motivation to finish anything. Lack of pride in what they are doing, and a reliance on not knowing how to do it without ever trying, as a reason not to do it.

Sometimes I think that's how I was when I was a teenager. I didn't want to do anything, so when I had to, I fought doing it and did as little as possible. It wasn't until the Marine Corps taught me a few things that I grew up. Now I try to make and do everything the best that I can, and when I'm done, I try to figure out how to do it better the next time.

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #8  
marking/castrating pigs
gathering eggs
wringing a chickens neck
picking peas
plowing the back 40
eating chitlins, hog brains with scrambled eggs (hot breakfast every morning, not a pop tart)

Hah. Done all of those except the chitlins...head cheese and cracklins, yes,...but no chitlins and no brains (for breakfast that is). I learned early on, when gathering eggs for Grand Ma, that it was best to use the basket and not put them in your overall pockets.

You could probably add "Picking Okra" to that list...itchy, itchy itchy!

/ What farm task do kids today know nothing about. #9  
My favorite was always loading the manure spreader by hand. Just a wheelbarrow, a shovel, and a pitchfork to work with. It's been over 50 years and my back still hurts when I think about it!