Communication Tower Site on my Property?

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
I'm being approached by a company saying they're interested in 'leasing' a 100x100 foot area on my property for a telecommunications tower. Understandable, as I have a very nice, scenic view from my country house, and I'll bet they'd want to be there on the same tall hill as my house.

In the letter, they're offering $250/month with a five year lease and they pay all utilities and insurance.

My work associate said I shouldn't even think of not asking for more money, but I'm not sure about how unsightly the tower would be, or how disruptive it would be for workmen to be accessing it on my quiet mountain getaway.

I learn a lot on this site, and I was wondering if anyone had any good thoughts to add to the subject. Thanks.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #2  
Well. One old radar man I saw on a documentary, says that anyone that puts WIFI into schools should be thrown in jail. So dangerous does he consider microwaves.

I was in negotiations with Internet providers to use my tower, but they don't pay enough to make it worth my while. One did not even offer an out clause, so the agreement would have to be written into the property deed if sold. Cellular is different.

I have a friend that had a HAM repeater on a neighbors silo. Bell came along and offered to put up a tower, give the farmer rent and free cell phones, plus put up new antennas for my friend and supply hydro.

That worked for maybe fifteen years or so. Now they say they want $1200/year in rent and that he owes them over $6000! Unfortunately, he never got anything in writing, and the farm has since been sold to another party.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #3  
My dairy farner neighbor has a cell phone tower on top of a large/tall silo, won't say how much he is paid except for its about the cost of renting a home. I would guess about a $1000 a month in income.

mark

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property?
Wow. $1000 a month would CERTAINLY make it more interesting. I can't imagine a site 'this' rural being a high priority.

My wife is good in accounting and my brother good at law, so I'd definitely heed that advice of getting things in writing.

All I said in response was, "My level of interest completely depends on the location, equipment and details."

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #5  
A guy I had work on my place with an excavator last year has a brand new self supporting Bell tower on his property. He told me all the details but I don't recall except that the rent was quit attractive. I love towers and communications stuff, but that tower was a bit much. Having said that, he runs a large gravel pit out of his property.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #6  
Think about restoration of disturbed property; re seeding and tree replacement, grading and erosion, etc; noise; easements and who gets to use them and when; maintenance and repair, etc.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #7  
About 10 years ago a neighbor was going to allow construction of a 150 ft cell tower on his place which would have had a flashing light on top. We live in a beautiful country area with mountain views. Long story short we formed a group and went to county meetings and subsequently they made a country ordinance no tower over (50 to 75ft I believe).
Now they are camouflaged to look like a tree, antennas in church steeple (church gets the revenue), antennas on existing structures like water towers, etc.
Cell service is great and we saved our skyline views.
Personally although you can make money, towers eventually can be a tremendous eyesore becoming a Christmas tree with all the antennas, as well as exposure to a certain amount of radiation.
I wouldn't consider it.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #8  
BELL installed a new 300' guyed tower about three miles away. I can just see the light at the top, but when installed the flashing LED obstruction lighting lit up my bedroom wall. The tower guys said that is how it was specified. I spoke with the local building department and they made BELL switch it to RED at night. Some towers I see have the white flashing light all night. In snow or mist, it lights up the whole area. I don't know why or how people put up with it.

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #9  
Well, I would personally pass on it. You have a picturesque property with beautiful views? Why on earth would you want to mess that up with a cell tower? As a former utility worker, you do realize that they will have permanent, no notice, 24/7 access through your property anytime they wish? How do you feel about half a dozen trucks with buckets, booms and spot lights blazing through your property at 2am some night because there's an outage?

/ Communication Tower Site on my Property? #10  
I don't think it is quite that invasive. I have been to hundreds of tower sites with Bell, Rodgers, Motorola and other Techs. Usually a lonely white van or 4x4 pickup.

Funny, you mentioned the foot print but not the height. I assume self support. What face size, how much loading? Microwave dishes? Can they lease it out to others services? Will they remove concrete if vacating the site?

Oh. What about utility poles to the site?

Last edited: