GPS app for locating property lines

/ GPS app for locating property lines #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H
Does anyone know of an iphone app that will show your position on a map with property lines? Google maps has the property lines but they are so faint as to be essentially unuseable. I understand that both the map data and GPS location are approximate. I'm trying to find the remnants of old boundary fence on land that's steep and covered in thick brush and heavy timber, with lots of poison oak. There's lots of places I can't go. Following fence lines from known locations (like where the survery stakes were 20 years ago) is not possible.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #2  
From what I can tell, "onX Hunt" is pretty close...

/ GPS app for locating property lines #3  
I think an actual GPS device with a chip in it would be more accurate than an Iphone or other smart phone. I have a chip in mine that gives me boundary lines and even land owner names and contact info. It's a Garmin GPS, and I can look up the chip that's in it if you want.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #4  
You can not trust the GIS information those apps use. We had our 94 acres surveyed and filed. One side of our property was off by almost 80 ft, we were pleasantly surprised... our neighbor was not... Another side we owned much further up a hill, another side we didn't own quite as much as we thought. Now there is no wondering...

/ GPS app for locating property lines #5  
I can let you try my Theodolite survey app for iPhone -- PM me. It doesn't have property line data, but if you know the coordinates of the two corners that make up a property line, or you can put yourself on each corner and set a corner reference via GPS, it will draw the line between the two points. It uses augmented reality through the camera to help you align with map markers, so it would make it easy to trace your way along a line even when you can't see the corners.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #6  
I think an actual GPS device with a chip in it would be more accurate than an Iphone or other smart phone. I have a chip in mine that gives me boundary lines and even land owner names and contact info. It's a Garmin GPS, and I can look up the chip that's in it if you want.

I'd be interested in which Garmin GPS & is that a separate program you had to buy?

My Garmin GPS doesn't show me all that.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #7  
From what I can tell, "onX Hunt" is pretty close...

I have this (or similar) in my GPS for hunting and never thought to use it that way. Thx for the tip. It will get me close enough to bust out the metal detector!!

/ GPS app for locating property lines #8  
I'd be interested in which Garmin GPS & is that a separate program you had to buy?

My Garmin GPS doesn't show me all that.

Garmin Etrex Vista Cx, and yes, it is a separate, 3rd party chip I inserted in place of the OEM chip. I'm looking for the packaging now, to get the rest of the chip info.

Found it.

Kirsch's Outdoor Products

TRAX GPS Maps | Kirsch's Outdoor Products

701-261-9017

NDTrax+ Garmin Topo is the product I bought.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #9  
That's an interesting program. It only covers a few states (so far), but gives a lot more info in it's region than I can get online here, even from our state tax website.
Garmin Etrex Vista Cx, and yes, it is a separate, 3rd party chip I inserted in place of the OEM chip. I'm looking for the packaging now, to get the rest of the chip info.

Found it.

Kirsch's Outdoor Products

TRAX GPS Maps | Kirsch's Outdoor Products

701-261-9017

NDTrax+ Garmin Topo is the product I bought.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #10  
I can let you try my Theodolite survey app for iPhone -- PM me. It doesn't have property line data, but if you know the coordinates of the two corners that make up a property line, or you can put yourself on each corner and set a corner reference via GPS, it will draw the line between the two points. It uses augmented reality through the camera to help you align with map markers, so it would make it easy to trace your way along a line even when you can't see the corners.
Theodolite. That is one nice app!!