Your Land is my Land

/ Your Land is my Land #11  
Can you run livestock on your place? I doubt he would knock a fence down if it will let cows, horses, or a bunch of hungry goats into his vineyard.

/ Your Land is my Land #12  
Can you run livestock on your place? I doubt he would knock a fence down if it will let cows, horses, or a bunch of hungry goats into his vineyard.

Install Japanese beetle traps -- they supposedly attract more beetles than they kill.:)

Seriously, tit-for-tat isn't going to resolve the issue. That's what the legal system is for.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Your Land is my Land #13  
Install a boundary fence made of grape vines. That way if he damages there’s monetary damages he can be sued for, plus it would make him stop and think “Do I really want to destroy my neighbors grapes when I have a vulnerable field of grapes?”

/ Your Land is my Land #14  
I'm probably signing up for years of reading by posting here! Looks like an interesting thread.

/ Your Land is my Land #15  
Yes! Put up a boundary fence with real fast goats on your side!

/ Your Land is my Land #16  

Lol, awesome idea!

/ Your Land is my Land #17  
Had an adverse possession situation. Bought the property, neighbor claimed prior consent w/ previous owner. Have attorney in family, but still required thousands $ to resolve. Repeated law enforcement complaints can bolster the claim of ownership, Suggest having a survey performed, then file an action in municipal small claims court. Judge reluctant to rule without a recent survey. Bring copies of verified police complaints. Photos even video of tresspass helpful in court. We sued in a superior court but not necessary..

Defendent in our case was somewhat unbalanced. Sometime an act, never know for sure, but wasn't willing to concede land while offering no legal resistance!! A favorable court decision stops the clock on possession, NY Law, I believe is 7 years, unimpeaded access.

EDIT: sheriff can NOT refuse service. Go to the sheriff himself, not an underling, unless he would prefer to forgo reelection. If it were a trespass related to hunting, fishing, trapping then I agree w/ DEC jurisdiction. But tresspass, even AG trepass , is a criminal violation, sheriff has responsibility to enforce every law written in penal code. It is your choice to seek trespass remedy/ relief under enviornmental law, but not required.

Last edited:
   / Your Land is my Land
Thanks to everyone and their ideas. I had thought of the grape trellis perpendicular to his row ends. And my idea of a very deep drainage trench on my side. The Sheriffs department has informed me not to call them on this problem again. It has been referred to the NYS DEC (our Conservation officers). They have also talked to him. They said they told him to stay off the property. Again to no avail he came back twice after that. Paper work has been filed on this incident and is good for one year to get an arrest.

I do not live on the property it is one mile away so getting a visual is difficult and even if you do see him the sheriff then says well HE didn't see anything. LOL :(

I'm not sure if I should inform him of the pending survey? Or perhaps have the surveyor call him to ask if he needs to inform them of anything.

I too believe in Karma and have seen it working. So I won't be damaging anyones property just to get my way.

/ Your Land is my Land #19  
What about installing a "traffic barrier" of sorts, including scrap boulders, logs, or concrete? (Or any other scrap material from cleaning debris on your property)

He may not enjoy, or be able to, drive over them with his equipment.

/ Your Land is my Land #20  
I agree with several of the posts and their ideas. I would obtain a survey, build a fence and hide game cameras to collect irrefutable evidence if he destroyed the fence. Make sure the camera's pictures and/or video are time/date stamped. If the local sheriff won't do anything about it, I would report him as well as the crime to the state level law enforcement and/or district attorney (why have a sheriff that won't enforce the law).