Maple Trees Look Different This Year

/ Maple Trees Look Different This Year #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I have about 12 maple trees on my property of various ages and sizes. This year, most have produced only about half the number of leaves that they usually do. I wonder why ?

/ Maple Trees Look Different This Year #2  
Have you looked closely to see if something is eating the leaves or that the leaves just never grew from the buds?

I'd check with the local arborist or county forester, or an equivalent to see what the problem is. I suspect something is eating the leaves and you might want to spray the trees - or just let it ride and see what happens.

/ Maple Trees Look Different This Year
Hey, thats a good article. I have'nt lost any leaves that I've seen, they just never developed. Could be a case of infected buds or stems.

/ Maple Trees Look Different This Year #5  
Did you have a late freeze? Don't know if it would affect maples, but our neighbor's maple had all it's little buds drop the night after the freeze. It seems OK, though. I lost all the leaves on my KIWI vine. That came back very nicely, though. We also lost lots of fruit buds and the leaves on our nectarines and apricots aren't all that nice either.

You should still call your local extension agent or biologist/forester, etc... just to be safe. I'd like to here the results of your findings when you figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif