Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside?

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My machinery storage barn does not have electricity for lights and I never seem to remember the flashlight when I open or close it up. The problem is that it's bumper to bumper and I'm tired of barking my shins.

Why can't I get a solar motion detector light ($30) for the inside and run the solar panel outside? Has anyone done this? I imagine I would have to point it up so it would take a wave of my hand to set it off and not a mouse but is this a workable thought? Note here is that electricity scares me so this needs to be easy. What does anyone think?

Last edited:
   / Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #2  
Re: Can I put a solar motion detector ligyt in my barn and run the solar panel outsid

Should be very simple. The wire between the solar panel and the light is pretty long and the light and panel are light and easy to mount.

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #3  
Re: Can I put a solar motion detector ligyt in my barn and run the solar panel outsid

I guess as long as you are moving around inside your barn the motion detector light will stay on??? What about when you are squeezed under some piece of equipment doing whatever and the motion detector can't detect you. I guess you need to keep a pocket full of small rocks and when the light goes out - pitch a rock at the nearby wall.

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside?

I guess as long as you are moving around inside your barn the motion detector light will stay on??? What about when you are squeezed under some piece of equipment doing whatever and the motion detector can't detect you. I guess you need to keep a pocket full of small rocks and when the light goes out - pitch a rock at the nearby wall.

The pocket full of rocks is a good idea but this is mostly a storage barn with a gravel floor. Sometimes I do something minor there but that would be in the daylight. You can set these timers for 4 minutes so that gives me enough time to close the doors and get back outside.

The greater issue would be what if a motion detector light went on at night in the middle of a locked and dark barn with no one inside? Ghost?

Last edited:
   / Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #5  

We have done exactly that in our carport, set the controls for medium sensitivity and maximum light on time, gives us time to park and unload the boot and get inside with time to spare.
There is about 15' of wire between the panel and light and the controls are part of the light.

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #6  

I have one of these small battery powered/solar recharge units at my front door. It has worked perfectly for four years.

The unit I have has a motion detector. Period of light from last motion is adjustable.

No reason the light panel cannot be outside while the sensor/light is within.

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #7  

The greater issue would be what if a motion detector light went on at night in the middle of a locked and dark barn with no one inside? Ghost?

Well - I guess a guy would want to know how big an animal would activate the light - mouse, rat, cat, skunk, raccoon, etc. If had to be the size of a person - then I think you would have a decision to make...................

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #8  
Why does it need to be motion detection?

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside? #9  
I have one of those solar motion lights on my garage, panel on second story then wire down over inside overhang. Like everyone says, easy to do and adjustable.
Then I have about six of those small solar ones about size two cigarette packs. They're on dim at night then bright when you're within a few feet. They just stick on.

/ Can I put a solar motion detector light in my barn and run the solar panel outside?
Why does it need to be motion detection?

It doesn't have to be. I know nothing about small solar powered lights and happened to see one at Costco for $30 and got to thinking. Flipping a switch to turn one on would work just as well but all this is new to me.