GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I put some silicone where our granite meets the cabinets to match what the installers did. I rushed home and almost stroked out, then removed the silicone after the wife texted me. My friend searched around and sent me a link to a forum where a lot of people had the same problem. Our "designer white" cabinets turned ninja turtle green after around 16 hrs of silicone being on them. They all said natural uv light fixed it, some rushed the process with a bug light.

So don't do what I did.

20180517_163649.jpeg20180517_163722.jpeg

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets #2  
I haven’t had good luck with clear disappearing as desired. In that application a white, water based tub/tile caulk would go away. A big tile/drywall installer sponge to clean it up nicely.
Bummer it happened. Hope it cleaned up!!

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets #3  
I've had good luck with DAP Alex Plus being optically clear and not causing stains/etc. It goes on white and then dries clear. It's not a heavy duty sealant like that GE silicone, but for finesse jobs around kitchen surfaces, woodwork, etc, it does great.

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets #4  
Whatever our granite installers used dried clear but after year turned yellow...

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets
I did the spot that turned green to match another spot they did. I will just strip it all off now. Already removed what I did. Going to remove theirs too. It only covers a 1/8" gap. I'd rather have that than green or yellow. Nobody even looks there anyway. (Unless it's a neon color saying "look under here!")

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets #6  
I did the spot that turned green to match another spot they did. I will just strip it all off now. Already removed what I did. Going to remove theirs too. It only covers a 1/8" gap. I'd rather have that than green or yellow. Nobody even looks there anyway. (Unless it's a neon color saying "look under here!")

Yeah, that's one of things where you have good intentions, and then it backfires and looks worse than before. Live and learn I guess.

/ GE silicone 2 vs painted cabinets
Thankfully after leaving the florescent lights on 24hrs a day for almost a week, the paint has gone back to normal.