Scat ID

/ Scat ID #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I found scat this near my beehives today. There looks to be bits of crustacean shells and crayfish pincers in there. I have a pond, creek and wetlands. Raccoon? Mink? Something else?
IMG_6050.JPG

/ Scat ID #2  
By the sheer size my guess would be raccoon. I gotta admit though - I've got raccoon all over the place and I don't know that I've ever seen their poo. Now if it were coyote - I can ID theirs in a heartbeat. I've got groupings of coyote in all directions and they are always marking their goings and comings with poo piles.

I've got one coyote that gets apricots all winter long and poops right at the beginning of my driveway as it leads out of the yard. I think he is bragging..........

/ Scat ID #3  
Google racoon, opossum,mink, etc.
sh#t (of course use i instead of #) then click images.
If your hives are close to a power source I would put some plastic electric fence posts around with a wire close to ground, another up a foot or so on a charger.
A hunter cam nearby also you can see what it is.

/ Scat ID #4  
with all those seeds in there, I'm thinking it's from a bear.

/ Scat ID #5  
I’m glad I’m not the only one who takes pictures of scat! My wife makes makes fun of me for that.

Last edited:
   / Scat ID #6  
I would bet on Raccoon;electric fence will solve that problem.If it was a bear your hives would be done for by now.

/ Scat ID
I know there have been bear sightings near here over the past couple of years with some beekeepers losing hives. But I don’t think that’s what this is. I agree that a bear would have already had a field day with the hives. I have seen lots of scat similar to this near the pond but without the shells, had more berries and not quite as big. I looked online for mink scat (I’ve seen mink on my property) but it’s not this big.

/ Scat ID #8  
Around here...right now mink scat is full of rabbit fur and duckling feathers etc...this looks like a big raccoon...the crayfish shell is common with raccoon droppings...fox scat is more like a domestic dog...but will have crayfish shell...

/ Scat ID #10  
I'm surprised no one hasn't congratulated you for not stepping in it yet.

Looks racoonish, but runny, to me.