Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington
Latest update on the original article:

Wildlife officials found and euthanized the mountain lion believed responsible for the killing around 4:30 p.m. Saturday evening.

Bruce

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #23  
You have real bears up there. The story goes that a guy from Maine went up there to cruise timber. The first day he showed up with a .44 strapped to his hip. The foreman said "Take that down to the garage and have the front sight ground off. "Why" the Mainer asked?
"So that it won't hurt so badly when the bear shoves it up your behind."

I haven't seen a bear that walks this planet that could eat a cylinder full of .44 magnum Buffalo Bores. A friend of mine killed a Polar Bear (which by the way is the largest bear on the planet) with nothing more than 7 rounds of .45acp. And .45 ACP is a darn sight less than hot .44 magnum loads. Don't get me wrong, I sure areen't going hunting polar bears with a 45acp pistol, but this is what my friend had on him while he was in the air force in the great white north when the bear decided maybe he was tasty.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #25  
I haven't seen a bear that walks this planet that could eat a cylinder full of .44 magnum Buffalo Bores. A friend of mine killed a Polar Bear (which by the way is the largest bear on the planet) with nothing more than 7 rounds of .45acp. And .45 ACP is a darn sight less than hot .44 magnum loads. Don't get me wrong, I sure areen't going hunting polar bears with a 45acp pistol, but this is what my friend had on him while he was in the air force in the great white north when the bear decided maybe he was tasty.
That and being a decent shot under pressure.

I'll never forget the first time I was up in Alaska helping an Alaska Airlines Captain friend of mine, build his cabin on Funter Bay. He didn't have inside plumbing in yet and the first thing he did after we arrived (by Seaplane) was hand me his 10g shot gun and a box of slugs, and pointed to a collapsable shovel. As the story went, he said something to the effect that when your pants are down to your ankles and your bent over a log, make sure one hand is on the gun because there are grizzlies out there.

I kind of shrugged the advise off and later that day after getting some work done we launched a small boat to try a little fishing. Returning back to the beach, we had to wait it out in the water as a couple of grizzlies were foraging along the shore turning over large boulders effortlessly. The power and grace of these animals was an awesome sight and they seemed so docile.

Next... since I was still not scared of these gentle giants, my buddy walked me over to his neighbors cabin a quarter mile away that had been broken into over the winter. The claw marks on the log below the window, and shredded interior finally got my attention.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #26  
There is a group of hunters that very successfully bag an average of five mountain lion/cougar every year from an area (Hog Lake) just five miles west of me. They came by several years ago to collect two of their lost hunting dogs. They had a big cougar in the back of their pickup. He stretched the full length of the bed of the pickup.

Makes me wonder every night when the dog & I go out for "final call". So far the only eyes shining back have been raccoon and deer.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #27  
It was a joke.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #28  
That and being a decent shot under pressure.

I'll never forget the first time I was up in Alaska helping an Alaska Airlines Captain friend of mine, build his cabin on Funter Bay. He didn't have inside plumbing in yet and the first thing he did after we arrived (by Seaplane) was hand me his 10g shot gun and a box of slugs, and pointed to a collapsable shovel. As the story went, he said something to the effect that when your pants are down to your ankles and your bent over a log, make sure one hand is on the gun because there are grizzlies out there.

I kind of shrugged the advise off and later that day after getting some work done we launched a small boat to try a little fishing. Returning back to the beach, we had to wait it out in the water as a couple of grizzlies were foraging along the shore turning over large boulders effortlessly. The power and grace of these animals was an awesome sight and they seemed so docile.

Next... since I was still not scared of these gentle giants, my buddy walked me over to his neighbors cabin a quarter mile away that had been broken into over the winter. The claw marks on the log below the window, and shredded interior finally got my attention.

Even a .22 in the right place.

Our problem was always that we had city folks come out to the campgrounds and ignore all the signs about keeping your cooler outside of your car. Invariably a bear would show up, see the cooler in the car and proceed to tear off the car door to get it. The car owners of course freaking out the whole time.

Most of our encounters just making a ton of noise was enough to drive them off, we did have one scale a tree to steal our food one time, ran off with the powdered Gatorade and nothing else.

Alaska is a whole different ball game though. No direct experience but much different dynamic up there.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #30  
Yeah I have lots of experience with black bears and never any issues. Simple rule... don't get between mom and cubs and no issue. Apparently Grizzles are not so polite! I forgot to add that when I got home from Alaska, my buddy lent a book to me called 'Alaskan Bear Tales'. I didn't finish reading every chapter, but several of the stories scared the shat out of me!