Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Police: One dead in mountain lion attack near North Bend | KIRO-TV

NORTH BEND, Wash. - Eastside fire officials said emergency crews were responding to the report of a mountain lion attack in the foothills near North Bend around 11:20 a.m. Saturday.

King County Sheriff's officials said two mountain bikers were attacked. One was killed.

===========

That's about 25 miles SE of Seattle.

Bruce

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #2  
This will be interesting to follow. I work in the forest not that far from there.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #3  
Police: One dead in mountain lion attack near North Bend | KIRO-TV

NORTH BEND, Wash. - Eastside fire officials said emergency crews were responding to the report of a mountain lion attack in the foothills near North Bend around 11:20 a.m. Saturday.

King County Sheriff's officials said two mountain bikers were attacked. One was killed.

===========

That's about 25 miles SE of Seattle.

Bruce

Bummer.

Read the article, found this part interesting

"Officials with the department offer this advice for anyone who encounters a cougar in the wild:

• Stop, stand tall and don't run. Pick up small children. Don't run. A cougar's instinct is to chase.
  • Do not approach the animal, especially if it is near a kill or with kittens.
  • Try to appear larger than the cougar. Never take your eyes off the animal or turn your back. Do not crouch down or try to hide.
  • If the animal displays aggressive behavior, shout, wave your arms and throw rocks. The idea is to convince the cougar that you are not prey, but a potential danger.
  • If the cougar attacks, fight back aggressively and try to stay on your feet. Cougars have been driven away by people who have fought back."

The dumb question is, if I have my 10MM and I'm in fear for my life and it's not hunting season, am I allowed to shoot the mountain lion?

Last edited:
   / Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #4  
Bummer.

"Officials with the department offer this advice for anyone who encounters a cougar in the wild:

• Stop, stand tall and don't run. Pick up small children. Don't run. A cougar's instinct is to chase.
  • Try to appear larger than the cougar. Never take your eyes off the animal or turn your back. Do not crouch down or try to hide.
  • If the animal displays aggressive behavior, shout, wave your arms and throw rocks. The idea is to convince the cougar that you are not prey, but a potential danger.
  • If the cougar attacks, fight back aggressively and try to stay on your feet. Cougars have been driven away by people who have fought back."

The dumb question is, if I have my 10MM and I'm in fear for my life and it's not hunting season, am I allowed to shoot the mountain lion.

A terrible way to go.

That is why when I am in the wild I make sure there is always someone slower than me by my side at all times. If they happen to be faster than me I carry a knife to slow them down. :D

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #5  
Bummer.

The dumb question is, if I have my 10MM and I'm in fear for my life and it's not hunting season, am I allowed to shoot the mountain lion.

Be sure to call 911 first then wait for a response from the sheriff.
ken

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #6  
Bummer.

Only if your willing to deal with the cost of a potential legal case, a low warning shot probably a lot less chance of causing a mess for you or the lion.

That said unless you're trail running/biking you don't have a lot to worry about, they tend to retreat if you make your presence known.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #7  
I know what my answer is!

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #8  
Bummer.

Are you kidding? Allowed? All of God's creatures have the "allowed" to defend themselves. My head is reeling. :confused3:

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #9  
Are you kidding? Allowed? All of God's creatures have the "allowed" to defend themselves. My head is reeling. :confused3:

My thought process is if they are considered some kind of "protected species" with consequences for killing one.

Killing wildlife could be a whole other ball game IMO when you're dealing with a potential federal agency.

That said, if actually was put in a slim position where I was facing a mountain lion in the forest, lets just say I wouldn't be thinking about a federal agency LOL

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #10  
Be sure to call 911 first then wait for a response from the sheriff.
ken

Or not go into cougar territory on a mountain bike which is obviously going to trigger the chase and kill instinct in the cougar.

Seattle is overrun lately with tons of growth by city dwellers who go out on a weekend like ants out of an anthill into territory they know nothing about.