Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations?

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #1  

ustmd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
Well, the old Club Cadet ZTR is coming to the end of its time. It will soon need to take the trip across Rainbow Bridge:laughing:.

I am starting to look at new ones and are looking for brand recommendations.

We have 3-4 acres that we mow with the ZTR. This includes standard lawn areas, the grass horse arena and some areas that are are mixed scrub/prairie/native grass area--can be rough going).

To be blunt, we have a tendency to "ride our mowers hard and put them up wet".

I am okay with a 48-60" deck and I am willing to invest for a reliable piece of equipment (high end residential/lower end commercial).

I have not been unhappy with the Club Cadet, I just want to get others feedback on different brands.

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #2  
The three brands I see the most in my area are the Scag, Exmark, and Toro. Personally I like the Grasshopper because of the front deck and the fact that you can get close to stuff and even mow under the bushes.

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #3  
Look at the Bad Boy mowers. Built in Batesville, Arkansas

I have a MZ Magnum and love it. I just can't seem to figure out a way to convince my wife that I need the big one with the CAT diesel! :D

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #4  
Figure out what dealers are in your area and demo them.

Any of the name brands will be a quality machine, it’s just going to come down to personal preference.

I’d also consider going the slightly used route. A good commercial mower should go a few thousand hours. A used commercial might the cost the same as a new HO model, but will last longer and be a better machine for you overall.

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #5  
CC Pro Z-160 with 4 wheel steering. Commercial grade and will go anywhere safely, unlike most all other ZTs. Search for my threads and others on TBN about them.

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #6  
I have a couple of Gravely's and have been well satisfied with them.

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #7  
I have the Kubota ZD1021 It's the small diesel. I really like it. It only has one belt, and it's for the cutting blades, hydraulic deck lift. It also has the suspension seat which I highly recommend which ever Z turn you buy

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #8  
Seems like all you see in my area are Bad Boys. That is because the dealer that sells them has a good reputation for service and warranty work and they come in a little below price for the same engine/deck/options in other brands.

I mow from one to eight acres a week depending on circumstances and who is on vacation, etc..

What ever brand you get I highly recommend a Kawasaki engine. The daughter of the dealer (graduated with my youngest, been to our house overnight a few times) talked to me after I had originally ordered mine and gave me some very good advice. She said to get the Kawasaki and a narrower deck because the wider deck tended to scalp the yards. Said any ZTR that the deck stuck out too far past the front wheels would do so.

The 24-hp Kawasaki uses less gas than my old mower with a 17-hp Kohler. I can mow my 1.1 acre lot four times on one tank.

My advice would be not to shop brands but to shop, in order, dealer-engine-deck size.

Oh yeah, our Bad Boy has an electric lift for the deck. Makes it easy for my short wife to adjust.

RSJT

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #9  
Well, the old Club Cadet ZTR is coming to the end of its time. It will soon need to take the trip across Rainbow Bridge:laughing:.

I am starting to look at new ones and are looking for brand recommendations.

We have 3-4 acres that we mow with the ZTR. This includes standard lawn areas, the grass horse arena and some areas that are are mixed scrub/prairie/native grass area--can be rough going).

To be blunt, we have a tendency to "ride our mowers hard and put them up wet".

I am okay with a 48-60" deck and I am willing to invest for a reliable piece of equipment (high end residential/lower end commercial).

I have not been unhappy with the Club Cadet, I just want to get others feedback on different brands.

Since you have a Cub, did you see the new Pro Series Cub ZTR's? I stumbled across them on the web. Look pretty nice and familiar to some other commercial ztr's... certainly MSRP puts them in high end category

/ Time for a new ZTR--Brand recommendations? #10  
I have a Toro SS 5060, 50" deck with a 23hp Kawasaki. Great mower and the Kawasaki motors are bullet proof.