Heat Pump

/ Heat Pump #11  
Don't know your location, but you might want to look into a VRF unit. Depending on where you live, you won't need back up heat.
If you go conventional HP, like has already been mentioned. I would not go with a Nordyne product

Ken, I might of missed it, but who makes a single phase VRF unit and when say VRF unit, are you refering to simultaneously heating and cooling for each zone?

/ Heat Pump #12  
Ductless one heat pump is Mitsubishi. It's, of course by far, the most quiet inside and out. Best thing about them is there's no heat coil backup needed. More efficient, too. Downside is the refrigerant lines running to all the users. If you put them in from new, these would be so easy to hide.

Mitsubishi offers 3 lines for residential (single zone), each with a different up front cost, and each with different heating performances at various outdoor temps.

For multi zone, their standard 4 zone 3 ton multi zone will only give you around 24,000 BTU/h of heat at 17 degree outside air temp. Their high performance model will give you over 40,000 BTU/h of heat, but you'll need to run a branch box and the cost is substantially higher.

If you do not have supplimental heat, you need to ensure you know exactly what you're getting performance wise for heating capability and at what outdoor temp.

I'd put a single zone in my home if needed, but anything over 2 zones (2 indoor heads) for various reasons, I'd stick to a conventional ducted system if you already have the ductwork and it's just a retrofit job.

If you do put in a high quantity (over 3 indoor heads) multi zone mini split, highly suggest spending the money and put refrigeration ball valves on every liquid and suction line off the indoor head. If one head goes out, without ball valves in place, the whole system is down for repairs.

3 brands of mini splits (over 80 different names being sold in the US and none are made in the US). Go with a very cheap China brand, good expectation you won't be able to get a replacement past 5 years.

Last edited:
   / Heat Pump #13  
It doesn't matter what brand. When it comes to heat pumps this is what I prefer:
1. Copeland scroll compressor multistage. I've had really good luck with those compressors.
2. Heat pumps with stainless steel condensate drain pans & body panels.

Last but not least, nowadays I will install multi-split system over standard system anywhere I have a choice.

/ Heat Pump #14  
I've lived in Japan since 1981, and a few things that came to America surprise me:

1. karaoke (oh me, how did Americans get "carry" out of kara... kara, as in karate. Well, almost.)
2. Manga
3. Sushi
4. Mini split heat pumps!

Mini splits (as y'all boys call'em here) were invented in Japan and I've used about every brand they make, all with equal success. As long as it's Hecho en Nippon. Don't want ary Chinese made mess. I really like them, but as mentioned, no ducts are also a downside. No heat/air in baffroom, etc. as with ducts.

In America, I've used Goodman a short time, and Carrier since 1980 in house. First one was gas heat, not heat pump, but ac part lasted 23 years. Had new Puron Carrier installed in 2003 ($5,000!!) and the condensate coil has NEVER drained right. It has dripped condensate on floor almost constantly. I had to put rubber pan all under it to catch water! I found out that Carrier messed up for a few years when mine was made. Yep. Jerks messed up. So I have bad feeling toward Carrier now.

My hvac place uses mostly Trane, so that's probably what I'll get next time.

But I also need a total system on a house we are redoing from studs/rafters/crawl space out in Missouri. This is like a brand new house build. I plan to do spray foam insulation in whole house, so that will make a difference in size unit. Don't know what I'll use there, whatever local man recommends I reckon.

/ Heat Pump #15  
The regular heat pumps are both Carrier. Really like them: very quiet. Previous ones were much noisier. The big one was a Trane.

Suspect any newer heat pumps will be quieter than older ones. Think they've learned how to make them to tighter specs, similar to what they've done on car and truck engines.

Like the new Carrier thermostats. Everything is altogether (incl. humidistats) and controllable.

Ductless one heat pump is Mitsubishi. It's, of course by far, the most quiet inside and out. Best thing about them is there's no heat coil backup needed. More efficient, too. Downside is the refrigerant lines running to all the users. If you put them in from new, these would be so easy to hide.

Ralph

Correction: The ductless units are Fujitsu. A friend of mine has Mitsubishi, and I asked for them. Our HVAC people said they could get a better price from Fujitsu. Utterly quiet outside. Only way to tell if it's running is to look closely at the fan inside. Inside, the fan at full speed (it's variable as needed) can be heard but less noise than a quiet floor fan. These are the most efficient units of the 3.

Ralph

/ Heat Pump #16  
I put in 2 Ductless Mini Split systems in my and my wife's shops 2 years ago. I went with the "Mr Cool" brand "DIY" mini splits. They come in 2 pieces with a pre-charged 25' linesets. Just install them and hook up the wiring and you are ready to go.

I installed a 1 ton unit for the wife's 800 sq ft shop and a 1.5 ton for my 100 sq ft and they are amazing.

Of course, the best part is both were delivered for $1,900 (total). The only other cost was some wiring.

/ Heat Pump #19  
I put in 2 Ductless Mini Split systems in my and my wife's shops 2 years ago. I went with the "Mr Cool" brand "DIY" mini splits. They come in 2 pieces with a pre-charged 25' linesets. Just install them and hook up the wiring and you are ready to go.

I installed a 1 ton unit for the wife's 800 sq ft shop and a 1.5 ton for my 100 sq ft and they are amazing.

Of course, the best part is both were delivered for $1,900 (total). The only other cost was some wiring.

Wait until you need parts...

I've been down that road believe me.

/ Heat Pump #20  
Wait until you need parts...

I've been down that road believe me.

Actually, I just had a leak develop in the air handler side of the unit. They sent out a new air handler (including the line set pre-charged) under warranty and I was up and running in no time. Great people to deal with.