Snakes

/ Snakes #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
While relaxing in the recliner from a hard half hours fishing on the pond my son came in and said that
mom about stepped on a snake. My wife stumbles upon more snakes than anybody I know. It was a timber
rattler about 3 feet in the backyard. Son shot the head off. The area we live in has always had a very
high number of timber rattlers and copperheads. You just gotta pay attention to what ya doin.
Anybody else have a lot of snake problems?

Attachments

• 68A8591D-04BA-45C5-A2AC-B37522B44BCB.jpeg
    68A8591D-04BA-45C5-A2AC-B37522B44BCB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 290
  • 9D12DAB3-CE48-491B-B7ED-AA9BEDC4565D.jpeg
    9D12DAB3-CE48-491B-B7ED-AA9BEDC4565D.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 332
   / Snakes #2  
Not in the western part of AL where we live now, but in the eastern part of AL where she is from, they plenty of both.

One evening when we were at her parents, one of her younger brothers said he saw one in the backyard. When we went to check it out, we not only found the mother but after turning over all the bigger rocks, we found 4 babies.

/ Snakes #3  
We have timber rattlers in our parts but you gotta search really hard for them.
To me a snake is a snake and I am making dust the other way. :confused2:

/ Snakes #4  
We're in S. Central Va. and yesterday mowing yard I saw lots of black snakes. One even went up in a tree. I didn't hit any, I've always thought they were good to have around and maybe it's a wives tale but I've heard if they're around you won't have poisonous ones.
One I bet was 5ft. long.

/ Snakes #5  
plenty of snakes here , I try to let let them go as long as they don't startle me.

/ Snakes #6  
Years ago here there was a snake in bushes near walkway that I've never figured out what it was. Small, maybe a foot long, 1/2" dia., green when I grabbed it behind head it puffed out like a cobra does.
I'm 99% sure it was harmless, I let it go in pasture. It wasn't a green or garter snake.

/ Snakes #7  
We're in S. Central Va. and yesterday mowing yard I saw lots of black snakes. One even went up in a tree. I didn't hit any, I've always thought they were good to have around and maybe it's a wives tale but I've heard if they're around you won't have poisonous ones.
One I bet was 5ft. long.
Eastern black king snakes are one of the most beneficial snakes to have around...they eat poisonous snakes...
They have whitish undersides and can often have whitish banding...sometimes the banding is only visible in certain light...they are often referred to as "black snakes"...

They are quite docile and can be approached in a non threatening manner...

/ Snakes #8  
Years ago here there was a snake in bushes near walkway that I've never figured out what it was. Small, maybe a foot long, 1/2" dia., green when I grabbed it behind head it puffed out like a cobra does.
I'm 99% sure it was harmless, I let it go in pasture. It wasn't a green or garter snake.
Spreading adder or hognose snake. Harmless. See a few around here. Mostly black rat snakes.

/ Snakes
One of the first things I thought about was that 2 blacksnakes had got tangle up in some netting my wife had in the garden and died last week. I had heard that they were a deterrent to poisonous snakes.