Raccoon War

/ Raccoon War #1  

rekees4300

Elite Member
Tractor
JD4300
On Monday morning heard big BOOM outside that sounded like a shotgun then electric went off. Thought the transform had blown up, checked it out with binoculars and saw a Raccoon head on top of transformer. Thought he was dead but checked again 1/2 hour later and he was gone! Those dudes are like mini Grizzly bears, tough as nails! Anyway that was the straw that broke the camel's back. They have been raiding our bird feeders and digging holes all over the yard so I have declared war on them. Today caught one in a live trap and released him 4 miles from home. Hopefully he won't find his way back. Amazing how fast they can run with those short legs, no human can run that fast!

View attachment 555502

/ Raccoon War #2  
You should have looked at the base of the pole and took a pic to compare to the 'ID Scat' thread...! :D

/ Raccoon War #3  
On Monday morning heard big BOOM outside that sounded like a shotgun then electric went off. Thought the transform had blown up, checked it out with binoculars and saw a Raccoon head on top of transformer. Thought he was dead but checked again 1/2 hour later and he was gone! Those dudes are like mini Grizzly bears, tough as nails! Anyway that was the straw that broke the camel's back. They have been raiding our bird feeders and digging holes all over the yard so I have declared war on them. Today caught one in a live trap and released him 4 miles from home. Hopefully he won't find his way back. Amazing how fast they can run with those short legs, no human can run that fast!

View attachment 555502
I hate it when people relocate their problem animals to some back road. I live on some back road, and I have enough problem animals of my own without dealing with somebody else's. Just my :twocents:

/ Raccoon War #4  
X2 on not relocating.

/ Raccoon War #5  
On Monday morning heard big BOOM outside that sounded like a shotgun then electric went off. Thought the transform had blown up, checked it out with binoculars and saw a Raccoon head on top of transformer. Thought he was dead but checked again 1/2 hour later and he was gone! Those dudes are like mini Grizzly bears, tough as nails! Anyway that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

View attachment 555502

We once had one get in the sub station a work and took out our power. He wasn’t as tough as yours. Actually, he was just a piece of charcoal when it was all over.

/ Raccoon War #6  
For the first eight or ten years we lived here - we had skunks and raccoon. They never really bothered anything but you were always on the alert for a big 'ol skunk just around the corner of an out building. The raccoons did help harvest the apples during harvest time. Then two things happened and we have NEVER seen another single skunk or raccoon.

The neighbor passed away and I dam near started a wildfire with my big old burn barrel. The neighbor burned his garbage in a burn barrel and when he passed that ended. After I had the near miss with starting a wildfire - I quit burning and took my garbage out to be collected by the county refuse company.

No more cooked garbage - no more skunks or raccoons. Its been more than twenty five years since there has been a skunk or raccoon around here.

reekees - I don't want to be a PITA but I bet you are going to wish it was 40 miles, not 4.

/ Raccoon War #7  
You should have looked at the base of the pole and took a pic to compare to the 'ID Scat' thread...! :D

That's funny! But he might have to increase his search area as it might have shot out quit a ways! :eek:

/ Raccoon War #8  
I declared war on squirrels, they keep filling my motor compartment on my Jeep with acorns and after the bird feeders, I should cut all the oak trees around my house but the misses wouldn't like that. I dont care for raccoons or foxes near the house either, around hear there known for carrying rabies.

/ Raccoon War #9  
Just don’t get between mother and young like all animals or really see how fast they can move��

/ Raccoon War #10  
I hate it when people relocate their problem animals to some back road. I live on some back road, and I have enough problem animals of my own without dealing with somebody else's. Just my :twocents:
Here in NY it is illegal to relocate them.
You must call a certified person to remove them or burn or bury them.