Mattress

/ Mattress #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
We are in the market for a new Mattress. Our mattress is over 20 years old and shopping for a new one is a pain. It ain't like you can go buy it and try it and then take it back if you don't like it. What kind of mattress do you have and where did you buy it, etc?
Thanks!

/ Mattress #2  
We are in the market for a new Mattress. Our mattress is over 20 years old and shopping for a new one is a pain. It ain't like you can go buy it and try it and then take it back if you don't like it. What kind of mattress do you have and where did you buy it, etc?
Thanks!

Actually I wouldn’t buy from a place that didn’t have a 30-90 night return policy. It’s common now.
The hybrid mattress with springs and memory foam is the kind we have. Liked it so much we purchased a second.

/ Mattress #3  
Thanks!

Recommend a Tempur-Pedic. They are expensive but worth it. Why not buy the best for something you are going to spend 1/3 of your life in?

Tempur-Pedic Official Website | Shop Tempur-Pedic Mattresses, Beds & More |

Tempur-Pedic

/ Mattress #4  
I am told the extra firm mattresses were originally targeted toward couples in their child bearing years, but are not a good choice for many people who prefer a softer mattress. But of course it is personal preference and compared to sleeping on the ground any mattress is pure heaven.

Whatever you get, rotate it periodically. You want to sometimes flip it over, and sometimes rotate it from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock position. Especially if two people are sleeping on it. We did not do that with our first mattress and it developed a sunken spot underneath my wife. That would not have happened if we had kept up with rotating it.

/ Mattress #5  
I'm older than dirt so I can truthfully say I've had quite a bit of experience with mattresses. If you are young and have no joint or back problems then an innerspring mattress will be OK. As you get older and things start to ache in the night - you are going to need a mattress with better support. Such as a Tempur-Pedic or an air adjustable like I have - Sleep Number.

Go on the internet - find a local dealer - see what you like - buy from a dealer with 60 to 90 day return policy.

/ Mattress #6  
I'm in the same boat. The mattress I thought I wanted (and was going to buy used) was a memory foam. When I tried them in the store, I didn't like them at all. Like being glued down!

My inner ear gives me trouble, and I got up and down on so many mattresses, I actually got sick and had to lie down! I was there for a couple of hours. The salesman must have thought I was nuts! But I did find out that you have to spend time on a mattress. The pressure points don't kick in right away.

That was two months ago, and I think I spent my allocated funds on other stuff in the mean time.

/ Mattress #7  
I consider myself fortunate in that I can sleep just about anywhere on just about anything. I bought a cheap king mattress 18 years ago and I'm still using it. I probably sleep on the reclining couch 30% of the time. My favorite though was the ol waterbed, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Sorry I don't have advice for choosing a mattress but I have to relay this story. My in laws in the Philippines still sleep on a palm frond mats on top of solid coconut wood. The furniture is all solid wood with no padding. They sleep on the "couch" with no padding at all. We send air mattresses over and that's what we sleep on when we're visiting. Her mother tried the air mattress and said it was too hot and prefers the palm fronds for airflow. My wife had never slept on a mattress until she was 20 years old. I guess it's all what you get used to.

Kevin

/ Mattress #8  
I'm in the same boat with oosik (old), I also have a Sleep Number, works for me.

/ Mattress #9  
After much research, I bought a latex mattress online from SleepEZ (an American family business based in Arizona).

#1 advice that was given to me: Do not buy a big-name mattress (most begin with "S"). These used to be fine American companies, but their mattresses are now made in China and are cheap in every way except price.

Foam mattresses are great for anyone with aches and pains, as they provide excellent pressure relief. Latex foam is completely different from memory foam. Latex is a natural rubber product; memory foam is made mostly from petrochemicals. Memory foam molds to your body, providing pressure relief, but you will slowly sink down into it throughout the night; some people like this, some don't. I felt like I was stuck in concrete and had a hard time turning over. Latex also provides excellent pressure relief, but it also has "bounce" so you don't sink in; it's more like floating while being gently supported. And I don't wake myself up just trying to turn over.

An alternative to an all-foam mattress, which are expensive (I did this for the guest room and it turned out great). Buy a no-frills, no-name, very firm, American-made, flippable inner-spring mattress. (No "luxury top"; those are stuffed with cheap poly-fluff which breaks down quickly.) Your local mattress store will probably carry this mattress, but will not want to sell it to you. :) Then buy a 2-3 inch topper, either latex or memory foam, depending on which you like best.

Watch out for "cheap Chinese memory foam." A quality high-density memory foam or latex foam topper should sell for around $300 (queen). A quality foam bed will last a lifetime.

SleepEZ sells toppers as well as complete foam mattresses, and they are high quality Sleep EZ Organic & Natural Latex Mattresses - Family Owned Since 1976
For memory foam, check out Mattress Toppers by Brooklyn Bedding - Comfortable & Affordable

Do a little research online before you buy. Mattress Underground is a good forum, highly recommended. The Mattress Underground - Your best source for information on mattress brands, materials, and choices

Good luck!

/ Mattress #10  
Most mattresses of conventional design these days are one sided. So you can't flip them for longer wear.

We have a sleep number air bed. It's ok, I've always actually liked sleeping on an air mattress.

My favorite mattress is an old-school conventional 2-sided mattress made in house at "The Mattress Factory" in Atlanta. It's a very firm "orthopedic" model that we top with a 4" memory foam pad from Costco.