What size battery cable for older farm truck?

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
What size--thickness-- battery cable do you use for an older 1967 Ford F600 6 cyl farm truck? I never thought about it much but when I went to buy replacement cables saw several sizes of cable. There was 2 gauge, 4 gauge and a heavier gauge. The old cables are old, nasty and not a good reference. Thicker is always better but do I really need it on an old truck with a five panel fuse box?

Does anyone know anything about this?

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #2  
Gas engine I’d use 1 gauge. Many auto parts stores have pre made cables in several lengths.

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #3  
Ahh, a 1967 automotive electrical system....... thanks for the pleasant thoughts so early in the day!:D

Yeah, you don't need much but your right, bigger won't hurt.

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck?
My choices are 2 gauge or 4 gauge so I'll spend the extra money and go with the thicker 2 gauge. I'm wiring in a shutoff switch since I get nervous around old electrical systems. Thank you.

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #5  
Speaking of old electrical systems, Sharn Jean plugged her phone charger into the cig lighter on my '59 Impala. Unfortunately there was a screw in the ash tray that worked its way into the lighter socket; burned all the wiring out from under the dash. $1100 later and all is well.

$1100 and a lot of aggravation to fix

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #7  
Speaking of old electrical systems, Sharn Jean plugged her phone charger into the cig lighter on my '59 Impala. Unfortunately there was a screw in the ash tray that worked its way into the lighter socket; burned all the wiring out from under the dash. $1100 later and all is well.

Hope the wiring repairs included a fuse for the cig lighter...

OP, bigger won't hurt. The number of fuses, 5 or 50, doesn't stop the starter from drawing high current when engaged. If you're worried when working on the vehicle, just disconnect one of the battery cables first, make the repairs, then hook it back up last.

Hope the wiring repairs included a fuse for the cig lighter...

OP, bigger won't hurt. The number of fuses, 5 or 50, doesn't stop the starter from drawing high current when engaged. If you're worried when working on the vehicle, just disconnect one of the battery cables first, make the repairs, then hook it back up last.

That's why I' wiring in the shutoff switch. One flip and no power beyond the battery itself. Makes it easy to work on plus these old vehicles have a number of circuits that are hot all the time. Lots to go wrong at 2AM.

Also, is the reason for a larger wire diameter for the battery cables just for the higher current draw during starting?

/ What size battery cable for older farm truck? #10  
Also, is the reason for a larger wire diameter for the battery cables just for the higher current draw during starting?
Yes, the bigger wire will conduct more current without line loss or overheating.