Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #1  

Jim Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5065e MFWD w/553 FEL
My biggest anti-depressant pill needs his eye fixed and it's not something I can swing the payments on. I've got a Fb fundraiser going, and that's doing OK, but seems to have stalled out at about 1/3 the needed funds. I've also got some friends helping by over-paying for some of my excess stuff (in the name of charity), but I'm a bit short on stuff to sell off that's in the charitable auction realm of price ranges and not actually owned for business purposes (gotta keep up with the mortgage, etc). So I'm wondering if anyone knows of organizations specifically set up to help with veterinary bills?

I'm not going to post the Fb fundraiser link here because I don't know if that's cool or not. PM me if you'd like it.

Vinnie was picked up by animal control in Feb of '17, spent 5 months in a cage after a no-kill saved his life in Ocala, FL. Came to MN in early July, then spent a month on pain meds after being treated for heartworms he tested positive for when in-processed at the no-kill but they didn't have money to treat. He's got a traumatic cataract in his right eye, and cannot see through it at all. His iris is fully functional and reacts to looking out a bright window from indoors just like his un-affected left eye, so we're hopeful that recovery will be a success once the cloudy lens is removed/replaced. No one wanted him because the cost of the procedure is $3K. :eek: My vet seemed less-than-concerned with the cataract as long as it was stable (how can you tell when he can't see anything out that eye?), and was nonchalant about "when you want to get it fixed, let me know and I'll give you a referral". I was at a friends memorial service (he died of cancer at 68), and one of his friends was a research veterinarian at the University of Minnesota Med School doing the clinical trial management. He was more concerned about Vinnie's long-term prognosis and started talking about delays in treating the eye leading to further complications stemming from the injury and could result in detachment of the optical nerve all the way to requiring the eye itself be removed. :thumbdown: That conversation led me to doing some more research on the options and deciding that it wouldn't be the right thing to do to delay care until it was more financially feasible for us (that could be years). So I've decided to reach out for help instead.

Vinnie's my buddy and helped me come through a pretty rough stretch of depression, which I've been dealing with since being med-boarded out of the Army in 2001. Saying I owe him my life is a bit of a stretch, but he brightens my days more than the sun more often than not. I want to do right by my buddy and get him proper care. He's relatively well-adapted to being one-eyed otherwise. He still runs into things because he doesn't know how close they are, and he can't play catch at all (tossing treats at him results in them hitting him in the face and then he picks them up off the floor :licking: ); otherwise he's a healthy active 3yr old pup who seems pretty happy to be living with us now after spending 1/4 of his life prior to our taking him in, in a kennel. Poor guy's been through enough.

20180131_114206-1[1].jpg

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #2  
No help on getting assistance, but your account of Vinnie was most touching.

We have a Toy Rat Terrier with sight from one eye only. She's 15 y/o now and been without sight out of one eye for about 3 years now. She copes with life just fine with one eye. Vet says nothing can be done to recover sight from the other eye, so it is what it is.

She's the only one left of two that we bought when they were 8 weeks old. The first one died last December with a list of organs that failed; reason unknown. So, we pamper her like our only child. If she were to lose sight of the remaining eye though, we'd have to let her go. I feel it's simply unfair, and selfish our part, to the animal to let her life totally disabled. YMMV

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #3  
blind dogs get along fairly well. They have other senses that put their sight to shame anyways. My Uncle had a sheepdog that was blind for a long time. He'd bump into walls when moved to a new house for a bit, but eventually get the layout.

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #4  
You need to get noticed by everyone in your local area. Where I live, there are dozens and dozens of Vets in the area, and when somebody posts a touching story about an injury and not being able to afford treatment, there is always a Vet that comes forward to take care of the animal for free, or at a significant savings. Facebook is probably the best way to do this from what I've seen.

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #5  
From my perspective the fund raising has stalled because this is an elective surgery that not even all the vets believe is necessary or needed.
It’s not like a dog that needs emergency surgery to save his life after getting injured.
Thousands or dogs have one eye and do just fine- they don’t feel sorry for themselves at all.....that’s a human thing.
I think, based the info above, I’ll side with the first vet. This isn’t a big deal-no matter your financial situation.
If you raise the funds and get it done I hope it goes well for you and the dog. But if the funds done come, know you and your dog will have a great life together!

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #6  
We had a beloved dog several years ago that took a thorn in her eye. We found a vet that specialized in doggy othomoligy and the Dr.. removed the damaged eye ball and replaced it with a glass eye. Our pup got along just fine and lived to a ripe old age.
I recall the cost was about a Grand at the time. Do you have a university with a vet med program in your area? They can be an incredible resource.

B. John

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #8  
Hate to be a downer here, but how old is he? He looks like a larger breed, possibly part Mastiff? They don't have overly long lifespans in general. I know you want the best for your buddy, but you've got to be a realist about these things. Vinnie would obviously prefer to see out of both of his eyes, but will get along fine with one. He also won't apreciate the surgury or the recovery. People loose sight of reason when it comes to pets. I understand it, but really, take a set back and look at the situation with a fresh eye. I remember when my last dog was a puppy, the vet wanted me to take him to a K9 cardiologist....no..... What was he going to tell me to do about the dog's faulty heart valve? I wasn't going to do heart valve replacement surgury, so just took it as it came. He was put down maybe 14 years later.

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #9  
How about a link to the go fund me?

/ Anyone know of funding for dog surgeries? #10  
I looked this up. I would check with them all, but since you are a veteran maybe the last is the best resource.
As already stated if you're near a veterinary college that's also a good choice. A friend's Dad had a horse a few years ago that needed $15K major surgery. His Dad contacted Virginia Tech. Equine Center who performed the operation for much less, like $2K. The horse is fine.
All the best for you and your buddy.

Need Help With Vet Bills? 15 Sources of Relief - Compassionate Crowdfunding ...

YouCaring › blog › need-help-with-vet-...

Oct 24, 2016 ·*Organizations that help with vet bills. Paws 4 A Cure. This organization helps cats and dogs regardless of breed, age, or diagnosis. The Big Hearts Fund. YouCaring. CareCap. The Pet Fund. Brown Dog Foundation. God's Creatures Ministry. United States Department of Veterans Affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.