Sweet Corn: Documentary

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary #1  

DAP

Veteran Member
From Orange County NY to Lincoln County ME
Tractor
JD LX288 and a B7800
A while back, I saw a film documentary. The film was a project by a film student and the topic was his grandfather.

Forgive me for I do not remember names. The grandfather who since died at the age of 90 sumpin, is attributed to the modern age species of sweet corn through his own hybridization. His corn (and I'm sure it has been further hybridized) became the first corn to be drought resistant, sweet and tastly, disease resistant and was a quick grower and a slow rotter. He used several different plants for his variety.

Anyway, the most intriguing part of this story was the farmer's teeth. Teeth. A segment of the documentary has an interview with the farmer's dentist. He remarked that this farmer had A: all of his original teeth, and B: the best teeth of anyone over 40 he's ever seen. The farmer was in his 80's when this was filmed.

While the dentist is speaking, they show a shot of the farmer smiling for the camer. Each space between his teeth has a 1/16th inch perfectly square hole.

This farmer apparently ate corn every day of his life in one form or another. After same, he would ritualistically spend an hour or so with a square toothpick cleaning up his choppers. Eventually, he not only wore the square holes through his teeth and enamel, but plaque never stood a chance either.

Passed with a full set of gleaming whites with a bunch of bizzare square holes between em all too.

Anyone else see this? Chances are it would have been on late at night and on a channel you didn't know you have.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone else see this? Chances are it would have been on late at night and on a channel you didn't know you have.
)</font>

There's two strikes right there against me having seen it......

STRIKE ONE - </font><font color="blue" class="small">( it would have been on late at night )</font>

Does this mean after 8:00 p.m.? Cause if it does, I KNOW I wouldn't have seen it! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

STRIKE TWO - </font><font color="blue" class="small">( on a channel you didn't know you have.
)</font>

If it was on a channel I didn't know I had, then chances are it was scheduled for a time I didn't know it was scheduled for on a day I didn't know it was scheduled on! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sonds interesting, though. I wonder if he would've used a round toothpick instead of a square one, would he have had a bunch of holes between his teeth? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary
Those holes were big. If he used round picks, they would have been big round holes.

Gary, in fact, I think he was a WI farmer. Think.

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary #4  
<font color="blue"> Eventually, he not only wore the square holes through his teeth and enamel, but plaque never stood a chance either. </font>
My wife (dental assistant) would never forgive me if I didn't reply... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif While between the teeth is a great place for cavities to form (or any other nook and cranny), plaque can form on any tooth surface.

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary #5  
Hi...

Teeth & toothpicks... perhaps corn...

My grandmother owned/operated a farm in VT since ~age 18 or so... ate plenty of corn in season... maybe made corn bread off season... bought little pre-made stuff from the store other than basic ingrediants... so ate mostly what they raised...

She always used toothpicks for tooth hygiene... no brushing that I remember... maybe she did... noticable spaces inbetween her teeth of course... all her teeth too...

1st vist to a dentist in her 60's... revealed she had no cavities and good mouth/teeth health... no teeth problems after that either... passed at ~80...

Been using toothpicks for many years myself... but I do brush 2x a day... but I've had my share of cavities... maybe not enough corn and whole natural foods...

Dave...

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary #6  
When my wife was in school to become a dental hygenist (sp?) their school performed dental services on the poor at no charge. One guy came in to get his teeth cleaned. They began to get him set up, e.g., bib, tilt chair back, etc. when he pulled his front lower teeth out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and said, quite seriously, "I can leave them for you to work on and come back later to pick them up." This wasn't a set of dentures, they were his real teeth so covered in plaque that they were all being held together. If they cleaned the plaque off them, they'd fall apart. They politely handed the guy back his teeth and said he was fine as is.

/ Sweet Corn: Documentary
Makes sense to me Mike. But he sure did give those teeth a workout. He spent a lot of years makin those canals - perhaps he had another implement for the other surfaces.