Mosquito Magnet users??

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #1  

Glenn9643

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL
Anyone else using the mosquito magnet product for controlling the critters? I have the Liberty model and it's doing pretty well for the second year. Our primary pest here is the asian tiger mosquito, and we found that the octynol furnished with the machine didn't work to attract them. We were advised to remove the octynol attractant and just rely on the Co2 emmissions and found that it was more effective than with the octynol. Last year I read some comments in another forum from people involved in a test program with the Mosquito Magnet company to develop an attractant for the asian tiger mosquitoes, but I was too late to get into the program. I just checked the mosquito magnet web site and see that they have a new attractant now, Lurex I think, but it's not yet available at our Home Depot.
Has anyone tried this attractant yet and if so how does it work for you? Thanks.

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #2  
I was thinking about getting a mosquito magnet but for the price wanted to make sure they are worth the money. It seems that you are happy with yours. How big is the area that it works for? Do you put it in the area where you are sitting? I hate to reply to your question with more questions, but this is my first opportunity to get feedback from someone who actually has one of these things. I would appreciate any and all info about your experience with it.

--Scott

/ Mosquito Magnet users??
Scott,
Last year my wife was undergoing chemotherapy following a mastectomy for breast cancer and along with the threat of west nile virus and her lowered immune response during that period I decided to get one after reading all the unbiased reviews I could find. They advertise that the Liberty model is effective for one acre, and that seems to be about right from my experience. We have twenty acres here, and the area behind the house is where most of the flower gardening and evening relaxation
is done so that’s where I placed the machine. Machine placement is critical to the benefit you will obtain. You need to consider the source of the bugs (here that’s about any direction), prevailing wind direction (here that varies, but generally from the north or from the south), and cover for the bugs such as trees, shrubs, etc. Taking all of these factors into consideration determining the proper placement for us required considerable trial and error, but once we had it worked out it worked fine. I generally keep the machine thirty to fifty feet away from where we sit in the evenings and we can hear it, but barely. When mosquitoes are really bad as they are now from all the rain this spring and summer you will notice several right around the machine. You don’t need to be close enough to it to entice them to your sitting area! Those near it will soon be in the net. We still use Deep-Woods OFF repellant when working outside, and I use a propane fogger around the house and shrubs a couple of evenings a week. The mosquito magnet won’t eradicate all of the mosquitoes within the acre, but will certainly reduce the population noticeably.
My shop is about 125’ from the back patio, which is where we tried to “center” the protection area, and I can definitely notice more mosquitoes when I go out that way. My garden is about 250’ and when I go there I’m swarmed immediately. I’ve got to get out there with my fogger!
I think the Liberty model is $495 at Home Depot, but not sure. Sam’s Club sells Rhino SkeeterVac for considerably less and I’ve read good reviews of it recently. However, it looks like the SkeeterVac uses a tank of propane every two weeks which would raise your operating costs considerably. The SkeeterVac is cordless, relying only on the propane to operate, so that convenience might make up for the added operating cost. The Mosquito Magnet(requires 110VAC, comes with a 50’ cord) website says that a tank will last 21 days. I’ve found that if I buy or swap for a prefilled tank that’s about right, but if I have my tank refilled at a bulk propane tank it lasts for about a month. Apparently there’s a difference in the amount of propane I’m getting when I have it refilled vs swapping out… Generally refills are cheaper too around here. Other accessories such as attractants, replacement nets, etc. are expensive from either manufacturer.
The mosquitoes are about as bad right now as I’ve ever seen them anywhere, and the asian tiger is the primary enemy. I’m emptying the net on my machine every two days and generally have a big double-handfull (heaping cereal bowl) of mosquitoes in the net. You’ll need some replacement nets so that you can pull the drawstring to hold the live ones in until they die when you remove the net and replace with a fresh one. After all have died in the removed net I empty them out and rinse the net for future use. The nets will deteriorate and tear; I think I replaced three last season, at about $7 each.
After saying all that, I’m considering a Rhino SkeeterVac because of the price and cordless feature to increase my comfort zone. I don’t mind buying the propane if it works, but at this point I would like to have more information on this machine. I’m certainly not going to pay the price for a cordless Mosquito Magnet but if the SkeeterVac works nearly as well for under $300 (with significantly greater operating cost) I’ll have one.

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #4  
<font color="blue"> I’ve found that if I buy or swap for a prefilled tank that’s about right, but if I have my tank refilled at a bulk propane tank it lasts for about a month. Apparently there’s a difference in the amount of propane I’m getting when I have it refilled vs swapping out… </font>

The "normal" size propane cylinder, the one that comes with most bbq grills and is available for exchange, is a 20 pound cylinder. This is because it is rated to hold 20 pounds net weight of propane. Theoretically this is 4.76 gallons of liquid propane (it weighs 4.2#/gal), but most refill dealers fill around 4.5 gallons.

The wraparound labels on the exchange cylinders tell the tale -- typically, they state that the cylinder holds 17 pounds net weight, or about 4 gallons. As you say, you pay more and get less. I admit to some bias; I used to own a refill dispenser station.

You can find out how much you are getting, regardless of the source. Look on the collar of the cylinder for the letters "TW" followed by a number. This is the empty weight of the cylinder. "TW" stands for Tare Weight, which is a term used to state the weight of any empty shipping container. Most 20# cylinders will have a TW of 17# to 19#, usually marked to one decimal point (i.e., 17.6). Weigh your cylinder on a bathroom scale, and subtract the empty weight. This will tell you how many pounds of propane are in your cylinder. Be sure to bring the scale out to the cylinder -- don't bring the cylinder indoors to weight it.

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #5  
Do these units work on black flies?

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #6  
Scott--

We're lucky to have bass and bats to take care of our mosquitos. However, my less-fortunate sister and her husband live on 100 acres in the New Hamshire mountains, and the mosquitoes are hard to imagine. They use three of the gas-only units and it gives them a large area around the house and gardens where they can do what they want, when they want--last summer we laid out on the grass looking at satellites in shorts and shirts, no bites. You can't move outside the "zone" without slathering on bug stuff and still having a cloud of them around your CO2-exuding body. The bags on the Magnets are always full of the dead and dying. So, my experience is that they work pretty good. With multiple machines, the consumables can be daunting--my brother-in-law has an army of propane tanks lined up in his garage, but then he's gont a long drive to the refill station and is pretty much of a maniac anyway!!

/ Mosquito Magnet users??
I've read reports that they do work on black flies but don't know first-hand as we aren't bothered too much with them here.

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #8  
Mine catches a few black flies regularly, but not anywhere as well as mosquitos. I think the black flies are strong enough to fly out of the suction area when they realize something is up.

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #9  
I live in New Hampshire as well and my father, brother and I all received Mosquito magnets for our birthday last year and they are worthless ! My father gave his away to my Uncle who wanted to try it and mine sits in my garage after having caught a couple of hundred mosquitos last year. It is an expensive paperweight now /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The real problem is that they are high-maintenance and you have to change the bait and replace the gas by filling the propane tank every 30 days or so and then unplug the extension cord that runs to the thing everytime you mow, etc......Oh, and you also have to replace the CO2 cartridge as well every so often.....

/ Mosquito Magnet users?? #10  
Hi

I bought a Liberty model two years ago and have been happy with it. The bugs were a black cloud around the deck until I plugged in the magnet. It made a noticeable difference within a few days. I get a bagful initially the first few weeks of the season and then the catch tapers off.

I change the tank and octenol cartridge once a month. I don't consider that high maintenance. The reduction of bugs is well worth the trouble.

It doesn't eliminate the mosquitos completely, but it does effectively reduce the popluation by 75% to 90% by my estimate. Every bug in the net is one that isn't looking to bite me !! I think the investment is worth it.

I recently had to contact the company to get help in resetting the propane valve. I had to disconnect the tank several times and cycle the machine to purge the gas pressure. This is the first time it has happened in two years. They are sending me a purge tool in the mail. The system is very sensitive to excessive gas pressure apparently.

John