Power inverters...

/ Power inverters... #1  

dixiedrifter

Silver Member
Bought a small one today at Wal-mart. I love it!!!

Its rated for 700 watts... rather small but big enought to power several small appliances and lights and what not.

Just for farts and giggles I have a small angle grinder I hooked up to it... amazingly it worked till i bogged it down.

My power inverter just reset and it fired right back up.

Dang I wish I had gotten a bigger one. I bet a 1200 watt rated one would pull an impact wrench or any other power tool I wanted... maybe a small pancake compressor.

Sam's club has them for $147 and some change.

That would be awesome out in the field for doing repairs plus whenever the current gets knocked out I could run an extension cord to my vehicle so I could watch tv and maybe nuke some dinner. At least I could power a few light bulbs.

/ Power inverters... #2  
Inverters are great, but just be mindful of the amperage and the load on the vehicles systems. 700 watts at 120 volts is about 5.8 amps.....700 watts at 12 volts is 58 amps !. When you start getting into the bigger 1200 - 2000 watt inverters, you need to watch the sizing of the feeder wiring, charging system, and battery type. Good for occasional use, but I would suspect concensus will vote a generator for larger loads or regular use. Enjoy.

/ Power inverters... #3  
Here is my RediLine 1600 watt inverter. Two batteries on the truck helps with the amperage load. Note the quick disconnect in the grill that I also use with my jumper cables.

PIC 1

PIC 2

Specs

TBAR

/ Power inverters... #4  
Now get a deep cycle battery and a solar charging panel and you have a solar generator for camping and emergency power.