Default building a root cellar

Desire to build a root cellar I need info on specific building needs.

Default Re: building a root cellar

EILEEN, I don't know anything about building a root cellar, but be sure the door isn't built like my next door neighbor's cellar. Every time it rains, it fills up with water; about 4' deep right now and I can't get my little Homelite pump started.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Do you intend to build a concrete walled and/or floored cellar, or just a plain earthen cellar. The simplest ones I've known were where they simply dug a hole with the sides as straight and vertical as possible, built some steps into one end, then laid logs across the top, covered the logs with dirt, and built a door over the steps. The neighbor's is square with concrete floor, walls, and top (storm shelter), but he erred in building the entrance.

Bird

Silver Member
    Tractor
    96 KUBOTA L2350

Default Re: building a root cellar

Eileen:I made one about 3yr's ago. My's concrete side's and roof, the floor is dirt with limestone, over the dirt.Check out www.root cellar.com, all sort's of nfo.

Camshaft in Pa.