Injured Hawk

/ Injured Hawk #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
The wife found a downed hawk an hour or so ago, on one of our trails. While he looked very alert in the face, his wings were both in a bad position. Using a weed stalk, I looked under his wing and could see an injury with flies - figure he had maybe been shot. He was not sitting on his feet, but sort of laying back on his tail feathers. I managed to get a towel over him and pick him up to get him to the house. However about halfway back he started fighting and I let him get away to keep from hurting him.

Right now the hawk is standing on his feet down in the creek bed next to the water. The wife gave him some bird seed, but I don't know what to do. I don't know of any professional rehabilitators or whatever you call them in our area.

I figure the coyotes will get him if he stays out much longer. Any ideas?

/ Injured Hawk #2  
If it were around here we have some science centers that rehab injured animals and return them to the wild... also what about any local Vets? Sorry I can't offer more help.

/ Injured Hawk #3  
Hawks don't eat seed, but are birds of prey. I suggest that you try to contact the local Audubon Society and they will come out and take the bird. I realize that it is night now, and he might already be gone to the coyotes, but if it is at all possible try to put him into a covered cardboard box for the evening and contact the Society in the morning.. Handle the bird carefully with gloves and a towel. Once in the box and covered, he should be OK for the night.

I tried to find a local telephone number for you, but the closest that I could find was the Fort Worth Audubon Society Web Page. They do list telephone numbers for the officers, so I am certain that one of them will know who to contact for rescue. Here is the web page. Let us know how the bird progressess....

/ Injured Hawk #4  
Alan:

Please go here and contact Walter --> World Bird Sanctuary He will know the closest folks to aid you. I grew up with his son and have been around their large birds for years. Walter has more experience with birds of prey than just about anyone you can find. He can definitely help, and I hope the bird makes it 'til tomorrow. If necessary, mention that "Jay from Chaminade" directed you to call. He'll understand that.

Regards,
Jay

/ Injured Hawk
Thanks for the information. Being as nobody is going to come out and get a bird at night, I'll try to find somebody tomorrow. We drove back and the bird is still where we left, sitting on one of the granite rocks I use for a creek crossing. Started to give him some vienna sausage, but decided the smell would attrack coyotes and dogs.

Duh, I guess bird seed wasn't a good idea for a carnivore. I just had a brain fart I guess. I feel bad for the bird. A young one I think as he is not near as big as most hawks I have seen. Maybe 12 or 14 inches tall. I doubt his wingspan is more than 30-36". Looks like a red-tailed hawk according to pics I have looked at. A beautiful bird.

I thought about putting a box or something on him, but he is not on flat ground, but in the big rocks.

/ Injured Hawk #6  
Alan,

I know it's the next day, so I hope everything worked out. But if you haven't got him yet, you want to wear the thickest gloves that you have when handling the bird and stay away from its talons (claws). Even the smallest of hawks could easily pierce your skin. To wrangle the bird, quickly throw a large blanket over him, and wrap him carefully with the wings against his sides, not out. You then want to do just as Junkman said and put him in a cardboard box, not much bigger than the bird, and close it completely so that it is entirely dark. What we do at the nature center that I work at is put a fairly thick stick through the bottom of the box, so that when the bird is stood up in the box, it can perch on the stick. We put the stick right through the sides of the box, because you don't want it moving at all. From there, the bird needs a veterinary surgeon, after which, if they can save it, it will be sent to a licensed rehabilitator.

Good Luck,
Hen

/ Injured Hawk
Bad news, I guess. Went to check on the bird this morning and he was gone. He was in the muddy creek bed on a big rock, and there are no feathers or any kind of animal tracks near him. Figuring he moved somewhere we searched for him, but is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Hopefully he got better and flew off.

I appreciate the help, I shouldn't have let him get away while I had him wrapped up in the towel, but I didn't want to lose finger and hurt him at the same time.

/ Injured Hawk #8  
As much as you try to help, sometimes you just have to admit that that is just the way things are.

Dave

/ Injured Hawk #9  
Alan - If you happen to find him or if it happens again, call the Heard Museum in McKinney. They have a raptor recovery program where they treat injured birds and return them to the wild if they heal enough. If they don't heal enough to be released, they keep them for their nature programs.