Lime in a Dog Kennel

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #1  

Inspector507

A co-worker of mine has an area 16x16 fenced off for his hunting dogs. He makes it a point to clean up after them on a regular basis, but a neighbor has complained about the odor. Neighbors are very close, he lives in town in a sub-division.
He was wondering if it would be harmful to the dogs to have some lime spread around to maybe take some odor away?
Anybody have an ideas?

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #2  
Lime is very caustic. I had second degree burns from it on my leg. I wouldn't use it anywhere near an animal.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #3  
Best bet is probably to walk the dogs on leash after each meal - that way you know when & where they go so he can pick it up. I've found that this gets 95% of the poop. Our pup was eating it so now we are into this routine. Yard stays much, much cleaner.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #4  
Ditto on Mark's caution about lime being caustic. Lime is calcium oxide (CaO) which reacts with water or even moisture in air to produce calcium hydroxide (CaOH2). Calcium hydroxide is an alkali like sodium hydroxide (lye), just not as powerful. However, it can produce nasty burns to humans and animals. Like all alkali burns, these heal very slowly.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel
Thanks......very good info /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #6  
hmm... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Don't people lime their yards? When they do, is that too, an issue for animals? If so, how long afterwards might one be cautious about yard animals?

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #7  
<font color="blue">If so, how long afterwards might one be cautious about yard animals </font>

I usually wait untill a good rain before letting the dogs roam free on the lawn after applying lime, fert, weedkiller etc.

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #8  
My dad used to have a pen (25x25) with anywhere from 10-15 beagles in it at any given time. He would throw out powdered lime in the area 2 times a year, to help reduce the smell. Usually just covered the target/density areas though.

Do not remember any damage/burns to those dogs, but maybe part of the reason they were always getting loose too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Those dang beagles would dig, jump, climb, etc. and inevitablly end up going straight to the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #9  
I grew up on a dairy farm and we had to put down powdered lime on the walk ways in the barn. the dogs and cats walked all over them and never had any problem. we used tons of the stuff. I used to use my hands to throw it onto the walk ways and then spread it on with a broom. Of course we washed our hands afterwords but never had a problem.
leaddog

/ Lime in a Dog Kennel #10  
I know I've put it out by hand before and the only problem I've had was some really dry skin.

MSDS DATA