Traded up to a Silverado

/ Traded up to a Silverado #11  
Pete, I have an 2001 Silverado that I bought new. It has about 74,000 miles on it now, and runs great. I abuse it, use it all over the farm on dirt roads, and throughout the pastures and hay fields, haul hay and tow livestock trailers and hay wagons. It's a great truck, you'll love it!!!

/ Traded up to a Silverado
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you sure it has a 350? I thought by '02 everything had been updated to the Silverado bodystyle (doing away w/ the old C/K series) and everything then either had the 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8, 5.3 V8, 6.0 V8, or the 8.1 V8 - or obviously the Duramax.

Is it 1500, 2500, or 3500? Ooops, guess I see that it is a 1500.

In the half only the 4.3, 4.8, & 5.3 are available. Except for the 1500HD which I believe has the 6.0. )</font>

Jim, my mistake. We had our annual antique car show in town last weekend and I still had the old engines on my mind! It's the 5.3L with the 3.73 rear end. I was pleasantly surprised to note how much better the long trucks handle washboard on those back roads...like the one to my house!

Pete

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What ever happened to those around 2000 that they made in the 350 SS and 454 SS ?? Those were pretty slick. Boondox congrats and I hope it gives you a lot of good mileage. I've had great luck with GM and Ford. The Jury's still out on the Hemi as it only has 10k on it. )</font>

Thanks, Dave. I test drove a lot of trucks from Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge in the past couple of weeks. Liked the Hemi Ram a lot, but only in the regular cab; driving the quad cab with the 5.9L felt like driving a whale. But the regular cab Hemi was a nimble, comfy truck with a lot more room than the Chevy. Worse mileage, though, and BIG! Ford felt pretty good in a regular cab, but even with the rebates I couldn't get the price down into my ballpark. The Chevy work truck after rebates would have run $19,900 new, but this gently used truck was $4500 less. And in the Vermont way, the previous owner had put his name and phone number in the ashtray so potential buyers could call and ask about the truck. He had nothing but good things to say about it, but had traded up to an extended cab.

We're off to bring in more winter hay! Later! Pete

/ Traded up to a Silverado #14  
You'll love plowing (don't know if you ever did it before).

I did the same last year - started plowing with the truck instead of using the tractor; I use the tractor as a backup for snow removal and to blow back banks.

I remember one time plowing last year in my T shirt with the wind and snow whipping around outside - had a big smile on my face!

Big time saver too - used to take about 45 minutes with the tractor; about 15 minutes with the truck, mainly due to the backdragging by the garage.

/ Traded up to a Silverado #15  
Congrats on the new truck. I am too waiting to upgrade but decided i rather have some land Instead of a new truck.
We have a Small used $4000 Nissan frontier 4cyl. that can get things "done" most it can tow is 3500lbs so towing a CUT is out of the question.
But i can fit most things in the bed if not I can hook up the trailer.
All in all small trucks are good most of times for us, but i sure wish i had a big truck to tow with.

/ Traded up to a Silverado #16  
Pete,

Congrats on your new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm sure you'll enjoy it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Is everyone still able to make it up into the bed of this one like they could in your red pick up? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Traded up to a Silverado #17  
Congrats on your new truck Pete. Looks like you'll have room for a sap gathering tank next year! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have fun with it.
Take care

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pete,

Congrats on your new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm sure you'll enjoy it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Is everyone still able to make it up into the bed of this one like they could in your red pick up? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Not without a ramp! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, no rides in the back for my dogs. We've rehabilitated too many goldens that fell out of other people's trucks and the injuries are wicked bad! But this truck is large enough so each of our five goldens can fit up front with dad, albeit one at a time! In the Dakota, only my little daughter dog could fit. In the Silverado, even Tetley, my 100# lap dog, can stretch out full length with his head in my lap! The dogs heartily approve of this new truck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pete

/ Traded up to a Silverado #19  
Pete,

I was just thinking of the picture of four of your five goldens who could make the jump gettting into the bed of your other truck. I remember you saying they'd never gone for a ride there and you had no idea what the appeal was. It's still one of my favorite pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, one of my faves too! My fab five are getting old; only one of them is able to jump into the back of the Subaru with confidence, though none have the confidence to jump into the back of the new truck. It's a LONG way up! Besides, they all rush for the passenger door. Spoiled, my wife says. I say it's only being spoiled if they don't deserve it...my dogs aren't spoiled, they're indulged!

We're starting to show bits of fall color. When the foliage explodes into Technicolor I'll put them all in the truck and take a picture of it.

Pete