To mow or not to mow septic drain field

/ To mow or not to mow septic drain field #1  

adlertom

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33DA hydro w/supersteer
I've been told that it's best, if possible, to let grass or ground cover grow tall over a septic drain field. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I know you wouldn't want trees on the drain field due to potential root problems, but what about grass?

/ To mow or not to mow septic drain field #2  
I was told to mow it. Maybe it doesn't matter, but its one way of keeping tree roots and critters like rabbits and ground hogs away.

/ To mow or not to mow septic drain field #4  
Doesn't matter if you mow it or not, the roots are going to grow toward the water and the nutrients. If you don't care how your lawn looks, let it grow. If you like a groomed look, then mow it often. The more you mow it, the more it will grow and the more water it will remove from the ground as a result of growing. If you don't like to mow and you don't want tall grass, spread crushed stone over it and keep it sprayed with Roundup.

/ To mow or not to mow septic drain field #5  
I suppose the reasoning is that taller grass would theoretically suck more moisture out of the soil and help keep the drain field drier. I mow mine like a lawn and have for 20 years. Never had a problem.

/ To mow or not to mow septic drain field
I've done some more reading on this, and perhaps the concern has more to do with driving over the drain field with a heavy tractor/mower, and less to do with the actual height of the grass?

I've lived in my current home for 10 years and have never mowed the drain field. My house is at the top of a hill and the drain field is at the bottom, and not visible from the house. So, it's never been necessary to mow it for visual reasons.

I'll be getting my 3000 lb tractor in a few days. I'm buying the tractor for other reasons, but thought about mowing the drain field because now it would be easy to do. Perhaps that's too much weight to drive over the drain field with?

Tom