Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN)

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #11  
I don't know what else you can do, Don, but we'll certainly be hoping all turns out well for you.

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #12  
Hurricanes are very destructive to property, but nowadays, fairly friendly to humans. Depsite all the damage caused by Charley, there were only 20 deaths (IIRC) in an area where there are over a million people. And, most of those are due to coronary problems, and I've already got that /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif . Seriously, most deaths are because people don't know their limits, and try to do too much. That won't be my problem. We also won't be taking any chances.

We're well aware of the shelters, but believe me when I say my mother-in-law would be too disruptive. We're put her in two different nursing care homes in the past year for a two week respite (for us), and she is not welcome back in either one. Also, we know from experience that some of the deaths always happen in the shelters because of the stress.

As Betsy (my wife) said last night, "If I have to suffer, I'd just as soon suffer in familiar surroundings." Besides, it's too late to go anywhere else -- we've had reports from several friends who are stuck in the Orlando area and can't get further North. The last thing we need is to be stuck on the highway with a 100 year-old invalid and a cardiac patient...

I think, in the face or problems, if you are secure within yourself, you reach a point of serenity. We're at that point; we're comfortable with our preparations and our decisions; and we're prepared to accept whatever happens. We've even laughed about it a little -- imagining ourselves, early Saturday morning, stuck in the hall with Grandma and the dogs, with Grandma shrieking a little and the dogs trying to get under the concrete slab...

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #13  
I found a good site for showing current and historical hurricane tracks. It's at the Sun-Sentinel website.

You want to see a big one, check out 1969: Camille, that hurricane hit with winds at 189.7 mph!

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #14  
Well, O.K. Don.

You've obviously considered your alternatives, and certainly you know what's best for you and your family.

Our hopes and prayers will be with you, and everyone in the path of the storm, that no one is hurt and that there be only minimal damage.

Good luck, and check in as soon as you can after the storm passes to let us know that all is well. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the dogs trying to get under the concrete slab )</font>

Don, that reminds me of a fellow I used to work with. His entire house blew away in a tornado in 1958. He said he, his wife, two little boys, and the dog were under the bed, with him and the dog trying to dig a foxhole in the floor with their fingernails. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And in spite of the house blowing away, he said the bed never moved. But when he rebuilt, he also included one of the "bomb shelters" that were so popular in those days. Of course, his was for tornados instead of bombs. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #16  
Don,

My parents are with family in Pensacola. They need to leave there and head to NC since it looks like this thing is going to cross the state, hit OTown, go into AL/GA and who knows where. My parents loaded up the photos and whatever other stuff they could put in the car and left the house. They are 15 miles or so south of you.

At this point, I think we are all reconcilled to the fact that if this hits where it is forcast my parents will not have a house. The roof will go and that is the end of that. Well, I just sold them land up here, real cheap, so they could be near me, but that is a heck of a way to get up here. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm hoping that they get to my place in the next day or so. If this hits near their house I'm going to try to get my mom to stay at my place while my dad and I load up my truck with supplies and head to their house to see how things went. My mom does not need to see her house damaged/destroyed. I usually stop at the second to last truck stop in GA before getting into FL. From there I can get to my parents place and get back out without having to refuel. So if I get a four/six more cans for diesel fuel I won't have any problems getting into the state, drive around if needed and get the heck out.

I don't know if this will happen but that is my plan. My parents might not go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you can think of things you might need after the storm like water, can goods, TP, dog food, etc., send me a list and your address in PM. If I head that way I can stop at your place. We have to drive right by you.

Keep some tarps in that hallway to try to stay dry if the roof goes.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Dan McCarty

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #17  
Don..... I don't know if you have already thought of this, but a eye bolt screwed into a stud and hook the dogs leashes to that. Make sure that their collars are tight enough that they can't slip out of them. They can and will get restless and try to break out if the house starts to rumble. This will put them outside and there is no way to get a scared dog back into the house. The best thing is to put them in a plastic kennel if you have one. If the cat gets along with the dogs, put the cat in there as well. The more in the kennel, the safer they are. Considering that you have a heart condition now, I am certain that you have medication. Divide up the medication and carry some in your pocket and have your wife carry the rest. That way, you will have the necessary supply in the event that you have to evacuate. Also write down the prescription numbers and the medicine name and strength. If anything happens where you run out of medication, they can get you a replacement supply. I have oxygen cylinders here at the house at all times along with my resuscitator. I hope to never need it, but many years ago a friend was visiting and had a heart attack. His wife is a nurse and she administered the oxygen to him until the ambulance arrived. This was the difference between him surviving. If you have a cylinder, keep it near by as a safety measure.
Good luck and we all hope that the storm passes over water and doesn't touch down on land..... Be safe, be health, and keep in touch as soon as possible...... Best wishes... We are praying for you....Junk....

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #18  
The latest 5:00pm track shows the storm moving back a bit north of Don. This thing is so huge it will still hit his area but any movement away has to be a good thing......

Later,
Dan

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #19  
Good luck Don. We wish you and the family safety and comfort and look forward to your posts when this is over.

/ Hey Flboys look out (AGAIN) #20  
Don,
I understand your decision
But my thoughts are with you........and God Bless