proud owner

/ proud owner #1  

Freds

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & ZD326s
of a fuel tank. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The neighbor up the road knew I was interested in a fuel tank for my tractor and mower and had a couple of 150 gallon ones that he no longer used, so he called me up today and I took the tractor up the road and picked one up. Free! I don't know what they normally go for, but I know it was worth at least 20 bucks because it still had about 10 gallons of good diesel in it. Tomorrow I get a pump and filter for it and I'm on my way. It needs a little cosmetic work, some wire brushing, a coat of paint and a couple of small sections of fence around a couple sides when I figure out a good location, but this is sure going to beat going to the gas station and filling plastic cans! Seems like I'm always topping off the tractor I DON'T need next.

/ proud owner #2  
Before you fill it, set it so the end that has a bung at the bottom is lower than the other end. Then install a ball valve in the bung so you can drain off any water that accumulates in the tank. If there is no bottom bung, then you can forget these directions.
Don't know what you are going to use for a pump, but if it has a 1" pipe, then you can get a spin on filter housing from NAPA and the filters also. The filters sometimes have a drain at the bottom to draw off water that accumulates in them.

Attachments

• 488803-MVC-001S.JPG
    488803-MVC-001S.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 188
   / proud owner
Thanks for the advice, Junkman. It doesn't have a "bung". The previous owner gave me a base for mounting a filter like you show and told me the NAPA in town could hook me up with a hand pump, filter and hose. They must be pretty popular for getting this stuff.
He doesn't have a drain on his 1000 gal tanks either. He said to treat the diesel. I don't remember what the stuff is called, but he gets it at NAPA and 1 gal treats 300. It's for moisture and gelling and other important stuff you don't want to happen to your fuel. He replaces his filter every month, but he obviously pumps a lot more fuel through it than I will.

It would be nice to put the tank by my pole barn, but access in the winter would be nil due to the drifting. I leave my tractor outside by my business to keep it ready for plowing. Something I'd like to change in the future.

/ proud owner #4  
If there is no bung, then just don't pump off the bottom 6" and you will be safe. Look into the electric pumps. A lot more convenient than the hand pump when it is cold outside. The pump that I have can and was originally mounted on top of a tank. They are also available without the meter for less money. Just don't buy a 12 volt unit and then try to hook it up to house current. I remember a long discussion on TBN about that a while ago. In my estimation, the person that did this probably spent as much time and money to do it, than the difference in the cost of the 12 volt vs. 110 volt pump.