Things to know before moving to the country

/ Things to know before moving to the country #1  

Bob_Skurka

I've been out here in the country for almost 10 years so you'd think that by know I would know better. But today I learned a few more things. If you skip Sunday services because you want to do some work in the yard, you will find out that our good Lord is a vengful God.

#1) I was pruning the native hawthorn trees and while my pruners had the mechanical advantage to easily snap off branches nearly 2" thick, the branches over my head came crashing down on my head, back (had my shirt off because it was 85 & humid), arms and generally scratched me in the way that a wet cat would do if you tried to flush it down a toilet (and failed). I am still picking out the broken tips of thorns from my hands (yup, my leather gloves were up in the garage).

#2) I took off to the rural roads with the lovely Mrs_Bob and my daughter on our scooters. No less than 5 miles from home my scooter got a flat tire. Of course, the lovery Mrs_Bob & our daughter were well ahead of me and didn't know I had a flat.

#3) When it was finally noticed that I was missing on the scooter ride, the Lovely Mrs_Bob showed up with her SUV and we promptly loaded the scooter into the rear, only to have the fuel spill out while we drove home. Stinking up the lovely Mrs_Bob's SUV.

#4) A quick trip in the afternoon to the run some errands and pick up some nice thick steaks yielded no meat. Apparently the local butcher shop decided to close while I was inside the discount store, only 300' feet away at 4pm.

#5) Heading down the slope off the road with the tractor in HIGH range (I never forget to put it in LOW) yielded an oncontrolled roller coaster ride down the slope, locking up the brakes, and tearing the turf for nearly 15 feet of uncontrolled slide. Of course, sliding 15 feet to an eventual stop was better than racing headfirst into a thorn tree about 25' past the end of the slope.

So, while city folks can skip church with impunity, living in the country is much riskier, less convenient, and I think it boils down to the fact that spending an hour a week in my Sunday best is not too much to ask of me to prevent the type of day I had today.

/ Things to know before moving to the country #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... scratched me in the way that a wet cat would do if you tried to flush it down a toilet (and failed). )</font>

I HATE it when that happens. Get a bigger toilet.

Pete (who always goes to church on Sunday)

/ Things to know before moving to the country #3  
One of the pressure assisted toilets, Sloan Flushmate, will handle any nomal sized cat without a hiccup! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Things to know before moving to the country
Gary, that must be my problem, I don't have a Sloan. I do have American Standard and Gerber, both sound like a jet engine when flushed, but neither seems to have the power to take down a large cat.

/ Things to know before moving to the country #5  
Bob... You could alway convert to another religion that doesn't "require" you to attend church services on Sunday. Actually it isn't a requirement so much as a voluntary obligation that you fulfill. I believe that you were just having a bad day and that G-d didn't single you out for all those difficulties that you have endured today. While G-d might know all that we do, I believe that he looks at our overall performance as human beings and then makes a determination of our worth. I am relatively certain that he will forgive you for your indiscretion of not going to church today. There are some that will say that G-d is a woman and is just toying with us..... to those, I say, "prove it".... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Things to know before moving to the country
<font color="red"> There are some that will say that G-d is a woman and is just toying with us..... </font>

You mean just like a mother-in-law??? That is just mean.

And I do agree with you, I was not singled out for skipping church, I think I just started out on the wrong foot and my day continued that slipping and sliding the wrong way all day.

/ Things to know before moving to the country #7  
we had one of these in our old house. Works great, in fact awesome!! Just don't put a Sloan pressure assist flushmate in a hallway half bath.. When you flush them, they take the air out of the room also.. talk about creating a vacuum /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Things to know before moving to the country #8  
<font color="blue"> 5) Heading down the slope off the road with the tractor in HIGH range (I never forget to put it in LOW) yielded an oncontrolled roller coaster ride down the slope, locking up the brakes, and tearing the turf for nearly 15 feet of uncontrolled slide. Of course, sliding 15 feet to an eventual stop was better than racing headfirst into a thorn tree about 25' past the end of the slope.
</font>
Bob
Just hope that gun had the saftey catch on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Every day is like this for me and now i am a little wiser to the reason I MUST GO TO CHURCH.

/ Things to know before moving to the country #9  
Bob,
I Know the problem, up their god looks down on you folk, down here he looks up at us.

/ Things to know before moving to the country #10  
sometimes removing the air is a refreshing thing in my bathroom /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
leaddog