Trucks 4wd or 2wd

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #21  
Figure 4wd costs a couple thousand more brand new, maybe an extra $100/year in repairs, and a thousand more or less used. If I only needed 4wd one time over the year to me it would be well worth the extra dollars in repairs. Perfect case in point. This weekend we were headed to a rodeo and I missed the turnoff. Had to pull over to the side and turn around. The shoulder was soft and I got stuck. Put it in 4wd and drove right out. Without the 4wd I would missed my girls rodeo, had to be pulled out, etc. To me it's worth the extra to have it. On a pickup they are absolutely TERRIBLE in any kind of slick conditions. With 4wd you are much better off. Saving yourself from one accident is also worth the price of the 4wd by ten times. Of course you still need to drive responsibly but given two identical vehciles traveling the same conditions at the same speed there will be less chance of an accident with 4wd.
I also agree on the mileage. We've had both 4wd and 2wd trucks and the 4wd's don't do any more than maybe a mile difference in fuel.

If you pay a little more to get it's also going to be worth more when you sell it too.

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple"> but unless you plan alot of mud and unplowed snow driving, you don't need 4x4. </font> )</font>

4WD is a nessecity in dry situations off road if the grade is steep enough and if the terrain rough enough.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple"> i used to work in the woods during the winter, and traveled about 15 miles of unplowed road with my 79 f-100 2wd.... i kept a few sticks of pulpwood in it when the road was the worst, but never got stuck....

<font color="black">I could take you some places in the woods right now in the driest time of year your 2wd drive would be parked while you went after help to get you out. </font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple"> and traveled about 15 miles of unplowed road with my 79 f-100 2wd.... i kept a few sticks of pulpwood in it when the road was the worst, but never got stuck....
</font> )</font>

<font color="black"> You ever had that 2wd drive with busting snow as high as your hood and having to stop about every 1/2 mile and dig the snow out of the radiator grill to keep the truck from overheating when it was about 15 above zero for a hi temperature and running tire chains on the front tires,with about 1000 lbs of bank run sand in feed sacks sitting in the bed directly behind the cab ?
</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple"> i quite often break trail into unmaintained roads..
</font> )</font>

How deep is the snow were you going up a steep hill or were you going down a steep hill ?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple">i even us it to pull out my father's bronco when he gets stuck plowing.. </font> )</font>

I have pulled a few 4wd drives out and I have been winched out,but I have seen a lot of 2wds sitting in the ditch and turned sideways in the road while I went up the hills around them.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="purple">i also find that 2wd has softer suspension, and will do better in the snow then a 4x4 in 2wd.... </font> )</font>

Thats a mute point,why would you have a 4WD and be running it in 2WD in the snow,unless the front end is broke?
The 4WD drive is probably stffer because of a heavier suspension.

You ever pulled a stock trailer through a field up a grassy hill loaded with cattle or pulling a load of hay up a grassy hill in 2wd drive.???? I seriously doubt it..

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #23  
Looks like this thread will get as much attention and pull out as many different views as some of the discussions about guns. Figured I'd put in my $.02 worth. I have been driving 4WD vehicles under all sorts of conditions since I started driving in the mid 50's. The only time I got in trouble on an icy or snow-packed paved road was when I had the front end engaged. For the use you describe, I think 2WD, with a good set of chains and weight in the rear, will do the job. Of course, 4WD is a lot of fun if you have the opportunity to go offroad.

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd
thanks for the responses,
I will be looking a a few later this week at both 2wd & 4wd models. Is there any way to check 4wd components?

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there any way to check 4wd components? )</font>

Not really they're for the most part inside of something, like the tranafer case, front wheel hub assemblies and the like. Best advise I can give to a person that dosent have an ear for noises is take someone with you that does. Driving a 4wd on a smooth flat road will yeild very little results.

I remember driving one (with the owner with me of course) and it drove like a dream. Hit a speed bump with it and both the front end and rear end made funny noises. Looked under it and right where the shocks mounted to the frame the frame was actually being bent. Looked as if he were trying to jump this thing (never the less I didnt get it). And do this, when you're driving down the road in it just take your foot off the gas and listen for anything that goes CLUNK, like excessive wear/backlash between gears/components in the drive train

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #26  
Okay, lots of views, thought I would throw mine out.

<font color="red"> but I would like it </font>
That is what you said, then buy it! Life is short.
Need/want....How many people here have tractors bigger than they need????? Buy what you want, if you can afford to.

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #27  
<font color="blue">Is there any way to check 4wd components?
</font>

CV Joints - You can check the CV joints in the IFS if it isn't a solid axle rig. Had one fail once and you could physically move the outside assembly - also it made a "thunking" noise when driven. If you've ever driven a front wheel drive car with a failing CV joint, you know the sound.

Grease - Look for grease on the zerk for the front drive shaft slip joint - never greased gives you an indication as to maintenance on the 4wd portion (no grease on the rear drive shaft zerk will tell you something about overall maintenance on the vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) Grease on other 4WD components is a plus as well - i.e. good.

Transfer case - kindof hard to tell. Shift in and out a few times - look for "obnoxious" noises (not just gear whine) when running. Some transfer cases don't shift in to gear easily - but that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, so don't let it freak you out. Depends on the design of the case.

Hubs - ehh. hard to tell, but cheap to replace. You can get aftermarket replacements (which are often stronger) often for less than $100/pair if they go out.

Front differential - you could pull the fill plug (if it's got one) to check and ensure it has fluid. If it's dry, that's a big problem as it may already be chewed up really badly and need repair.

Records - ask if they got their maintenance records. If they do, then chances are that they took care of things.

Overall, do what you would do on any other vehicle - look for obvious signs of wear/abuse, look at records (if possible), and listen for odd noises.

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #28  
Another thing you can do is shift it into four wheel drive and drive it on dry pavement. It's not really recommended but I've known people that have done it inadvertently and drove for months and it didn't hurt anything. When you have it in 4wd go around a few corners. You should be able to fell a wierd wobble- like feeling while turning, letting you know that it is engaged and that the front differential is working.

/ Trucks 4wd or 2wd #29  
I wouldn''t have a truck without 4wd. Due to my job I need to travel KY, IN OH in winter. I've been stuck in a flat parking lot in Indianapolis with a 2wd truck. One of the big problems with 4wd systems is the electronic shifting so yuppies don't have to move a lever. My Dodge has manual transfer case and no lockouts on the front end. 2004 2500 HD Ram, Quad Cab, 4X4, auto Cummins Turbo Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif