Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ???

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #1  

Prefect

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC30
I'm getting ready to build a new house. It's a good sized place and will be stuck on the side of a hill. I'm trying to decide what kind of foundation I should go with. I was reading a recent post about Superior Walls, I did some research and asked them some questions but they havent gotten back to me yet. First of all, here is the house I'm going to build. You have to scroll down to see the floor plan.

I'm guessing that since the basement area is the same as the main floor, it is shaped the same. So, I'm wondering if the Superior wall or any other pannelized basement wall system would work for this application and work very well. That's quite a bit of house sitting on those walls.

Also, how does the pannel wall cost compare to a traditional poured foundation.

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #2  
You mentioned ICF.

My whole house is ICF, which is ok, but beware of workmanship (its hard to adjust concrete once it sets up).

In general, there are lots of 'special' issue which crop up when you move beyond standard construction (poured concrete or block & stick framing). Things like electrical, plumbing, window finish and so on, tend to be much more work.

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #3  
I'm in the early planning stages for a new home and am sold on the idea of ICF's for the basement. I don't have the courage to go with it for the entire structure. I'm leaning toward ISP's for the above ground floors. While it's not as forgiving as traditional stick construction it's WAY more forgiving than concrete. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #4  
Perfect, I just recieved my Superior Wall system and I can say that not only am I impressed with it but all my neighbors were also. My log home is much smaller than your grand home so I can't tell you how long it would take to set yours but mine was up in 4 hours and my builder was able to start construction immediately. With Superior Walls you are getting a precast system. The same tecnology that is used on highway bridges and other structures of high stress. The concrete is poured under a controlled enviorment to ensure you are getting 5000 psi concrete. Your normal poured wall or tip up will be 3500 at best. There are many benefits to this system and thats why I chose to go with it. The 15 year guarantee of no leaks is a real plus. I have yet to see a concrete poured wall that did not crack and have the potential of leakage. Good luck in what ever you chose to go with. If this is your first built home the best advise I can offer is to go slowly, research everything and be patient.

Best of luck
Bob

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ???
I'm definately one to research things and take my time ordinarily. I hadn't really thought of anything other than ICF or traditional form foundation until reading on this site. I have since contacted Superior twice without any response from them. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any other manufacturer/brand.

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #6  
   / Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #7  
Perfect, here is the #1-800-452-9255 to the main headquarters. Not sure if you were trying to contact a franchised dealer before. I have never had a problem contacting them.

Best of luck....

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #8  
Here's a company that builds are arguably the best ICF systems in the world. Homes made of ICF have very strong concrete as the cure rate is very slow since the mositure is trapped and insulated. Short of concrete cured underwater, there is almost no better way to cure it. I took a class with these guys and found Murray, one of the owners and the teacher an incredibly interesting fella that prior to starting Nudura, built homes out of Blue Maxx or ARXX. Prior to that it was all stick frame. It is really interesting to see and know why ICF is so superior to stick frame. I have been building since 1972 as a freshman in high school. All I ever did was stick framing, latter in commercial work I did tiltup structures and then snap tie walls. I have seen nothing like ICF. The company is Nudura, I think it is nudura.com

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #9  
They have been building up to 3 story apartments in Japan out of pre-poured conrete for a while now and they are supposed to be exceptional. If I could have I would deffinitly had cinder block or concrete walls up to the rafters. course if I had my way there probabaly would not be any windows as I'm part Bat according to the wife...I like the dark my basment has only 2 light enrty points. The garage door and there french doors that will be the ouside entry to the room...

I aslo whish I had known about I-joist, Laminated ibeams made of wood that eliminate the need for steel support post under the main level. Had I known, I would not now be working around the poles in my basement... Giving me more flexablity on the room's configuration(s)....

Best of luck on with the new place.... looks like it will be great....

/ Basement?? Panelized, Poured, ICF, ??? #10  
I did superior walls in my home. I like them so far, easy to work with ie running wire, insulating, pipeing. I would reccomend them at this point. On one like yours it will take a little while to pour all of the walls. I did a ranch so basicly mine was a box. I think it figured at 14$ a linear foot. For my place it was around 3K more than block and 3K less than ICF. If I was farther north there is no doubt in my mind that the poured in the insulating block is the way to go. Just for the R value.