Log Home Owners?

/ Log Home Owners? #1  

twabscs

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC40D, CaseIH Farmall 95, 105U
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a 30 acre place that has an existing log home (see attached). I like the home and all, but there appears to have been some water leakage in the past (the sellers say it happened during initial building).

The type of home is an Old Timers Log Home and I will attached a picture of the water damage in the next post. My primary question is what can be done to fix this and/or is this too much of a problem to get into?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 503878-LogHome.jpg
    503878-LogHome.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 495
   / Log Home Owners?
Here is the apparent water damage. This is from one of the downstairs bedrooms that faces north. This side of the house is very exposed to the weather. See next picture.

Attachments

• 503880-stains.jpg
    503880-stains.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 487
   / Log Home Owners?
The previous bedroom picture is from this side of the house. It looks to me like they didn't do a good job of "chinking" the logs? If I come through now and get the chinking done right, will I be okay?

Attachments

• 503886-SideView.jpg
    503886-SideView.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 404
   / Log Home Owners?
The house has been vacant for quite some time and needs some TLC. However, I've got great plans that include turning that small water hole into a 5-acre lake.

Attachments

• 503890-house.jpg
    503890-house.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 394
   / Log Home Owners? #5  
In my opinion (retired from 35 years of dealing with wood problems), that is major water damage, and not 'just when building'. Consider the procedure you would have to go through to remove those squared logs in the wall if (when) they do rot, and also determine where that much water could have been coming from. The stain at the leading edge of the wet areas is what concerns me the most, as it indicates a lot of water coming in around the windows and at that corner.

Log cabin logs/timbers are pretty high moisture content when they are placed in the walls, and depend on good dry conditions to dry out and stay dry, so decay cannot get started. Indications here are that those corner and window logs have been soaked over time.

I suggest you get a wood person to survey the damage. If borings prove the logs to be dry (below 16 percent moisture content) then they are likely okay, meaning the leak has been stopped. These borings will also tell if the wood is sound and good, and free of decay.

/ Log Home Owners?
Thanks beenthere. That was my suspicion as well (more than superficial damage). From what I can tell, the home was built in stages and the seller cut some corners during the building. I think this included doing the chinking themselves, and they took a long time to do it, and didn't necessarily use the best materials. Other parts of the house are still unfinished (e.g., lack of grout in tile, etc.).

How would I go about finding a "wood person?"

/ Log Home Owners? #7  
That is a beautiful setting. I can see why you like it.

For a 'wood' person, I'd start at the Univ. of Missouri.

http://www.snr.missouri.edu/forestry/faculty.html

There are some scientists there that would know who to contact to check out the wood, and they may even help you if you can get some samples to them. There are non-destructive instruments, that use sound waves to determine if wood is still good (i.e supports a sound wave travelling from pt. to pt.).

To me, the roof looks a bit shy in the back side (where the two floor dormer is attached) and I suspect that those two corners are the culprit corners, or at least one. I think a 'fix' would be to put a roof on that has at least a 3' overhang, protecting the wood 'logs' from water flowing over them, and wicking its way inside.
But I'd not touch it at all if the logs are not good. Or at least get the price down to be able to invest $30,000 into it to fix it up right.

/ Log Home Owners?
By looking back over my pictures, it seems all of the walls have some water damage. The only exception is the front wall, which is covered by the porch.

Another interesting point is that they used green shingles on the front half of the roof and brown shingles on the back. Just another of the "do it yourself" aspects of this place. Yes, a larger overhang would definitely help out.

The price has already been reduced (and going lower) and now I'm estimating how much "risk" is involved in taking on this project. I hate to see these places just sit and get worse and worse.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 503944-side_direct.jpg
    503944-side_direct.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 294
   / Log Home Owners?
Here's damage on the south side wall.

Attachments

• 503948-SouthSide.jpg
    503948-SouthSide.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 326
   / Log Home Owners? #10  
Conceivably you can stop the water (adding larger roof area) from wicking into the spaces between the squared logs. But, you will not be able to remove the stain that is there from previous water. You can cover it over with a 'paint' but sanding, sand blasting, or steel brushing won't 'remove' it. It is in the wood, not just at the surface. Slight chance that bleach or oxalic acid will lighten it some, but then it will also lighten the patina of the surrounding wood. A penetrating stain will not cover it either.

I don't like to sound so 'bleak' but there are not any quick fixes. The damage is serious, if you want the look of the logs as they were at one time. I truly suspect a lot of decay, if the wetting has taken place for more than 6-10 years.

If you could get into the mood of living in a house with character of decayed wood in the walls, then this might work for you. Doesn't sound like it would work for you that way though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif