1 step forward and 2 steps sideways

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways
Yes I have seen these small bundles for sale too. Funny thing is someone must buy them, because they sure seem to disappear.

Come to think of it - I wouldn't have to worry about shelf life either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #12  
I was just up in Sturgeon Bay, WI last weekend, and while I was standing by my van getting gas, I noticed a wooden rack sitting on the curb outside of the gas station. It had 2 bundles of wood like you're talking about sitting on the rack, but the rack was large enough to hold maybe 30 or 40 bundles.

I went inside to get a cup of coffee, and I asked the clerk about the rack. He said that a "local" brought the homemade rack in and asked if he could set up and keep it stocked. The station agreed to it, although the clerk didn't know if the station gets a cut of the proceeds. This guy charged $8.00/bundle, and the clerk said that he has to come in about every 3 or 4 days to refill it, especially in the cooler weather.

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #13  
I'd burn it unless you have another use for it. The effort to do something else with it is useless

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #14  
I have a similar condition here in Florida. The only way I can get rid of the 70 – 100 damaged trees is cut, pile, and wait for it to dry out. Next year I will call for burn permits when the weather is right and burn one or two piles per week. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Next year I will call for burn permits when the weather is right and burn one or two piles per week. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )</font>

Not familiar with FL. What kinds of fires do you need a burn permit for?
I know of people in places that only allow fires for cooking start fires to accomplish what needs to be done in your case but just sit there with a marshmallow or hot dog on a stick. They've gotten visited by the authorities but never cited. Now in FL, I'm sure you have to be much more careful due to it being a drier climate.

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #16  
One thing that I have considered for my cedar infestation is hiring a articulated skid-steer with a "hydro-wheel" attatchment. cost is $65 per hour here and just turns everythin into mulch where it lays. i understand the "hydrowheel" has carbide bits and was really designed for chewing up concrete... it does a great job on hardwood cedar/junipers. Should be pretty easy on the soil too and you could use your tractor to clean up the mulch if you didn't want it to decompose on site.

Hope this helps

I like this idea! In fact I was just wondering last night if such a machine existed. I can not locate any pics of such - do you happen to have one?

I also searched for 'hydro wheel' and came up empty.

Would appreciate some more info on this equipment if you have it.

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #18  
I have tried that. No takers. Now if I would cut it, split it, and deliver it they would take it. My policy is you do what you can and I will do what you can't. I have the saws, the splitter and the truck and trailer. If all you can do is bring lunch you will get wood. Was told no thanks. Where in GA are you?

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #19  
Try loftness timberax and Brush Technology

Edited to make the link a little more user friendly.
Golfgar4

I live in Crabapple, north of Atlanta.

I know what you mean on takers. I had a big oak in my front yard go down last year. No one wanted free wood until I cut it and split - even then some people I offered it too did not want to haul it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't mind the work, but I do like to work efficiently. A day with a saw and maul is beats sitting behind a desk and is a lot cheaper than gym membership.