1 step forward and 2 steps sideways

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #1  

1bush2hog

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TN75
Went up to the property I have been working on clearing since last year. Whew, Ivan sure did a number to a portion. It was already a challenge with privet and russin olive undergrowth, but now I have locust trees down, sideways, and every other way imaginable.

I spent Fri, Sat, and Sun using my two saws and tractor and at least opened my roads back up. I was planning on taking out some of the older locust anyway, just not this soon, in this way.

I could sure use some advice on how to proceed from here. It is almost overwhelming. not to mention a strong opportunity for safety.

Hire a dozer? I hate to disturb soil. Burn? forest service says not enough fuel.

Suggestions? Feel free. All are welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• 507905-IMG_0111_edited.JPG
    507905-IMG_0111_edited.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 385
   / 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways
Another pic

Attachments

• 507908-IMG_0117.JPG
    507908-IMG_0117.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 373
   / 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #3  
Put a sign out front that says: FREE FIREWOOD YOU HAUL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #4  
I agree wityh grumpa:

free locust fence posts you cut to any size /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bad lookng mess for sure !!

wish you luck too! seems you could have one heck of a BIG bomb fire with a few days work...

Mark M

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #5  
1bush2hog,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but now I have locust trees down, sideways, and every other way imaginable )</font>

I'm still cleaning up some locust that blew over in Isabel, last year. I saw post size wood into seven foot lengths and make firewood out of the bigger logs. If you can cut them in log lengths and stack them (I use my tractor and loader with a 4in1 bucket), they'll keep just about forever. I doubt that you'll find better wood to heat with. You might also want to inquire around to see if a local mill would buy some of the logs to make sawed posts.

The stumps of blown over locust usually come out pretty easily and don't bring much soil with them. The reason that they blew over is that they didn't have much of a root system to start with.

You are correct on the root system for locust trees, and that is one of the more positive points. I am currently cutting the solid trees into 7 & 8ft lengths, and some 16ft lenghts as well on straighter sections. (pole barn?)

I may end up having to hire a skidder to pull these out on some of the steeper portions, as I just can't get the right angle to push or pull and still maintain stability.

I was on 3 wheels a time or two this past weekend - now that will pucker you up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will remain positive through this as I know alot of other have faired far worse than I. Who knows, I may even come up with a market for locust, even though I am told it is virtually non-existent.

FREE FIREWOOD, YOU cut and HAUL /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only problem with that is this area is about 1.5 mi off main road, and my road in is mostly a fire road, with water crossings. Plus you are assuming there is only intelligent life out there /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is hard to come up with a solution that maintains all the environmental standards, but I know with all of the experience and intelligence on this site, I will get the best suggestions too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #8  
Get a buddy to work w/.. cut and split into firewood.. split the profits?

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #9  
As kensfarm suggested, cut and split for fire wood. Shrinkwrap in bundles of about 5 small pieces with total size of about 12", take it to a convenience store and sell it out front for about $6.

I'm not suggesting you take advantage of hurricane victims at all. I'm just kind of making fun of what I see happening in the midwest. I see this every year and laugh. People in the city pay $6 or more for less than an arm load of wood. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I really need to start taking advantage of those suckers myself. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 1 step forward and 2 steps sideways #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I could sure use some advice on how to proceed from here. It is almost overwhelming. not to mention a strong opportunity for safety.

Suggestions? Feel free. All are welcomed and appreciated. )</font>

Sorry to see you have such a mess.
We had a microburst come through last year which did comparable damage. I still don't have it cleaned up.

I'd go with what everyone else is suggesting but I'd say just be patient. Those locust trees/logs aren't going anywhere for years. Go ahead and top them off, make piles of logs and maybe burn the tops. Don't try to rush it. You've already mentioned getting puckered more than once.