Getting ready for winter

/ Getting ready for winter #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
Well, we've had frost 2 of the past 3 nights. Time to start getting ready for winter. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
First thing I did was turn on the heat. Then I started thinking of all the things I need to do to get ready. I then changed it to a written list due to length.

Please add to the list. I’m sure I’ve forgotten things. Some items only apply to those of us in snowy environments.

So far I have:
Clean gutters (a couple times)
Empty lawn roller
Test generator - charge battery
Change oil and drain gas (or add sta-bil) to lawn mowers, weed eaters, leaf blowers
Get all freezable liquids out of non-heated buildings
Assure pump operated sprayers are free of liquids
Assure garden hoses are void of water
Test snow blower
Get out the snowplow
Get out the snow shovels
Put scraper blade on tractor
Get cars ready - snow scrapers, winter windshield wiper fluid, blanket
Put snow tires on
Check antifreeze in all vehicles (cars, tractors, ATV's, RTV...)
Put up driveway markers
Pull horseshoe stakes (a real bummer if hit by the kids while sledding).
Prune and/or tie back bushes
Cut firewood for next year
Check woodstove - check/clean chimney, oil blowers, check gaskets, and clean catalytic converter.
Assure all trails are void of any dangers if covered by snow.
Get urea for melting ice on walking areas
Over seed grass
Weed eat down all annual plants
Adjust timers on outdoor lights
Get out winter boots, jackets, and gloves...
Get out kids sleds, toboggans...
Storm doors/windows, plastic…

/ Getting ready for winter #2  
Install roof deicing cables...... have had them in the garage for the past 2 years and only have half of them done.

Put up storm windows for older homes, and lower glass sash for newer homes.... do nothing if you have insulated glass and no storm windows. Install plastic over inside of window if it is a old home with drafty windows. Weatherstrip door....

/ Getting ready for winter #3  
Winterize power washer pump, winterize RV, check any pipes that have heat tape to keep them from freezing.

/ Getting ready for winter
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Winterize power washer pump)</font>

Jim
Is this accomplished by pumping antifreeze into the impeller area?
The pressure washers were the first thing I addressed. (oops, it never made the list). Brought them into the basement.

/ Getting ready for winter #5  
For me it's remove the window screens and store them in the shed. Seems like we just put the screens in those windows.
Raise the gate about 12 inches.

/ Getting ready for winter #6  
I usually go to Lowes and pick up a can of Pressure washer antifreeze. It is a pressurized can that hooks up to the water hose connection. You then bend the top of it over the a can of the spray in insulation cans and squeeze the trigger of your nozzle until no more water comes out only the antifreeze type solution. I've done that for the past 2 years and my washer stays in a little 8x16 unheated shed. I've had no problems.

/ Getting ready for winter
MaineGuy

Are you substituting the screens for storm windows? If not, can I ask why you take them off? I've always left mine up.

Jim
Thanks for the info on the pressure washer antifreeze.

/ Getting ready for winter #8  
We have insulated windows ...no storms. A couple of screens have been damaged by snow/ice falling from the roof so we remove them each year. Or maybe the damage was done by the guy (me) raking or shoveling the roof. Funny thing is a couple of screens were damaged by mice, while in storage. I have since reconstructed the anti-mouse security system.

I'm always running a month behind getting ready for winter. I have lived in Maine for almost 12 years and still forget that winter runs from mid October thru March and then there's mud season.

/ Getting ready for winter #9  
Put new line on the ice fishing reels. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Getting ready for winter #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you substituting the screens for storm windows? If not, can I ask why you take them off? I've always left mine up. )</font>

I like to take mine down because you get a lot more scarce winter sun in your house if you take the screens off. You might be surprised at how much lighter the house is with the screens off in the winter. Sun is good for the soul.

Cliff