GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #1  

RICHARDG

Silver Member
Went out this morning and killed 6 squirrels,,,going to have squirrel and ramps tommorow for supper,[had the ramps in freezer],,Next week bow season starts,planning on killing a few of them deer also. thingy

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #2  
what the heck is a "ramp?"

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER
A ramp is kinda like a cross between a wild onion and garlic,,,it just grows in the spring,,its a hillbilly treat,,they have a leafy top and onion like root,you dig them,and eat root and top,,I like to cook mine in a pot thats got bacon grease in it,cook them till they wilt and roots are tender,,you can smell them cooking a mile away,,and after eating them,they stay with you for a day or so,breath I mean,even after several tooth brushings. thingy

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #4  
I haven't had squirl in years. My grandad used to take me squirl hunting and he knew how to cook them. Squirl dumplings or squirl stew done in a dutch over...........yummy!!!

TBAR

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #5  
When I was younger, my friends and I used to shoot and eat squirrels all the time. The big golden ones have a lot more meat on them than the little brown ones. Tastes sort of like dark meat on a chicken. Good eating, and they make a decent gravy too if you fry them in a skillet.

Now I'd like to thin the population of the little buggers on our property; when we bought our place and moved in we found the squirrels had eaten the lead shielding and PVC away on plumbing vent on the roof. I'm going to get either some of those low-powered .22's or maybe a 410 shotgun. I'll teach #3 son to skin and clean them.

Pete

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #6  
Tbar,

<font color="blue"> Squirl dumplings </font>

I hope this is not ...............urrrrrr, you no what i am thinking.

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #7  
I haven't hunted squirrels for several years. They are the toughest animals to skin I have seen. Is there a trick to it?

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #8  
Yep, Reb, they're a little tough to skin. I don't know how others do it, but we always pulled up a fold of skin at the top, middle of the back and cut through that which would let you get a couple of fingers on each hand in there, then pulled both directions; i.e., skinned them out from the middle to both ends.

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER
Thats the way I do it,,little grey squirrels are easy,,red and fox are a little harder,,,but I can skin and dress one in 2 -3 min. + OR -,ain't that hard,,,wifes got them boiling now,,you boil them till tender,than coat with flour and fry,,, thingy

/ GOING TO HAVE SQUIRREL FOR SUPPER #10  
I'm not sure how he does it but my uncle uses a bench vise to hold the squirrel to skin it. He only has one hand (corn picker accident back in the 40's) so he needs a little extra help once in a while. He brought us some squirrel last week all cleaned and ready to cook (yum yum). We had venison for supper tonight. I'm trying to get the deer I shot last year used up. We only have 36 more days till the start of the 2004 gun deer season. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lisa