Deer caught in fence

/ Deer caught in fence #1  

KubotaSteve

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with loaded R-4s
I just put up a 4 foot fence a few weeks ago to let my dog rune instead of being stuck in a small kennel and the strays out. The strays were getting too close to my daughter playing in the yard. I go out to do some work in the yard and my dog (shepherd lab mix) takes off straight to the fence to where the deer is at. As I pull up the deer is still alive but it appears the rear ankle is broken. I tried to free the deer but she was not happy and it was too dangerous. I had to put the dog back in the kennel as he was not happy the deer was in his teritory. DNR was not in yesterday or at least wouldn't answer the phone. State Police came out and tried to help me free the deer. The deer tried kicking and really damaged the ankle as it was freed. It just laid there and the officer put it down. We were hoping to get it free so it could take off but it didn't work out. The only possible good thing was it was a doe (looked like a yearling)
Sure enough, not 3 minutes after he shot the deer, a call came accross his radio for shots fired. I could understand if they saw a hunter in their front yard shooting, but as soon as they hears shots they call 911. If they would just have taken a second to see what was going on and saw the officer there. I'm done my little rant now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Deer caught in fence #2  
I've seen them caught in old barbwire fences in the woods before.. it's a death sentence for them.. not a nice way to go.
I think it's safer to shoot them first before trying to untangle them.. those hooves can do major damage.

/ Deer caught in fence #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I could understand if they saw a hunter in their front yard shooting, but as soon as they hears shots they call 911. )</font>

Hi Steve!

I'm not sure that I follow your thinking. Wouldn't "neighbors" who call the Police when they hear shots be a good thing? After all, they are trying to help protect others, aren't they?

Do you know who it was that called the police? Maybe it was someone that couldn't see what was going on. I guees in a case like that, I'd feel somewhat relieved to know that I had neighbors that would call when something unusual occurred.

Did the officer radio in to headquarters that he was going to be firing his weapon? I would also think that that would have been a good idea, because then the department would be aware of it in case they did get calls.

What happens to the doe? Do you have to bury it, or does DNR come out and get it?

/ Deer caught in fence #4  
What 'strays' are you referring to? stray deer?

/ Deer caught in fence #5  
As a somewhat recent transplant to the country, I asked the Sheriff's Deputy if they got many calls for "shots fired"? He said "yeah, and they just tell the caller that they're in the country now and don't worry about it".

I shoot in my own yard, as do some of my neighbors.

There's about 800 acres starting about 1/2 mile from my plce that's owned by a hunting club, so I expect to hear lots of shooting.

/ Deer caught in fence #6  
Several years ago I was travelling across I-90 and saw a vehicle pulled off the side if the highway. I got closer and saw a deer (doe) tangled in the 2x4 or 4x4 wire mesh that runs along the highways in OH. The doe had one foreleg caught in the wire with a full twist. It was wrapped between the hoof and knee. The way she had been caught she was pretty immobile and if it was up to me, I'd have shot her. She was overheated and who knows how long she wasn't getting blood down that leg, but..., we freed her (the guy had wire cutters) and watched her bouncing off the fence as she tried to jump over it again.

/ Deer caught in fence
I could understand neighbors calling the police if we lived in a subdivision but I live out away from town and there are farms around, but I have a busy body neighbor who moved from the city and still wants all the city rules to apply with a rural life. I'm constantly shooting ground hogs (can't risk them digging holes to upset the tractor) but of course a 22 rifle doesn't make near the noise of a 40 caliber pistol. Hearing shots is not unusual since there are farmers getting rid of the foxes and what not. I guess I'm just tired of all the growth and then the people who move there expect everything to be like the city.
As far as getting rid of it, I had the chance to keep it if I wanted it, but I am not much on deer meat. He had me haul it out to the edge of the road in the tractor bucket and dump it so DOH could pick it up. My wife said it was gone this morning.

/ Deer caught in fence
I was referring to stray dogs. They were wandering over on my property which concerned me with my daughter out playing in the yard.

/ Deer caught in fence #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As a somewhat recent transplant to the country, I asked the Sheriff's Deputy if they got many calls for "shots fired"? He said "yeah, and they just tell the caller that they're in the country now and don't worry about it".

I shoot in my own yard, as do some of my neighbors.)</font>

Me too; we have a nice earthen backstop down by the creek. I have kept the boys to .22's and still shoot my .45 at a range to keep the noise down, but the neighbor two places down is a cop and shoots center fire pistol frequently. There have been no complaints that I know of, but we try hard to be considerate of the time of day and etc.

Pete

/ Deer caught in fence #10  
Putting her down was probably the best thing. With a broken leg she likely would have died a prolonged and painfull death. She was also a real danger to the people trying to free her.

I cut this Ball Of Fur loose several years ago and in hind sight feel it was a stupid and dangerous thing to have done.

TBAR