Squirrel Season

/ Squirrel Season #1  

Gerald

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3830HST & L3010HST
After reading another post,"Squirrel for supper tonight". Made me want to try some squirrel and dumplings. There seems to be a bumper crop of squirrels this year. It was really good when I was a kid. Our squirrel season starts Aug 15. That seems too early to me. My father told me never eat squirrel or rabbit till after the first frost. He said they had too many parasites on them till cold weather. Maybe it is where we live, I get covered in bug bites every time I work in the woods even with half a can of Deep Woods Off on me. Anyone heard of this before? He called the parasites "Wolves". I remember seeing one on a rabbit, looked like a hard knot under the skin on his neck, about the size of a quarter.
Gerald

/ Squirrel Season #2  
Gerald, rabbits had the "wolves" more frequently than squirrels, and occasionally even a cow or horse would get one. They were actually some type of worm or larve and could be squeezed out. And of course, you could presumably cut out the area around them and the rest of the meat would be OK, but it was pretty unappetizing, so we just didn't do it. And although I have shot squirrels and rabbits at different times of the year, we generally followed the same rule as I've heard for oysters; i.e., didn't mess with them except in the months that have an "R" in the name. In other words, didn't hunt them in May, June, July, and August.

/ Squirrel Season #3  
Rabbits, squirrels and other wild animals often get warbles
Here is an explanation of them, but be forewarned, a graphic picture accompanies the article
Warbles

But also, The Merck Veterinary Manual calls them Wolves

/ Squirrel Season #4  
Worbles,,fly blow,,I think they are laid by horse fly,,not sure,but they are laid by a fly,,maggots,you get the picture. Only these are big maggots and just one to a spot,,so I think its a horse fly,,,you know,,those big uns that fly around your head sometimes in woods,about the size of a bumblebee?
Some years they are bad in animals,some,not so bad,,those 6 I killed two weeks ago not a one had one,,,basicly our season eliminates a lot of this,,but I have killed them later than this and found worbles,it don't ruin the meat,they are just under the hide,,but it will make animal sick and skinny,,if squirrel looks healthy,than just skin it out and cut out any thing that looks bad,the way they do beef and pork at these big meat processers,,what you don't see won't hurt you????? thingy

/ Squirrel Season #5  
I have taken warbles out of a cows/bulls back with a pop bottle,put the opening of the bottle over the warble and hit the end of the pop bottle with your hand and it pops the warble up in the bottle. I used to do this when we had reusable/return pop bottles,no I did not return the bottles to the store either. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Squirrel Season #6  
Gerald, When I was young we didn't hunt squirrels or rabbits much until cold weather arrived. This generally worked out well because by then the leaves were off the trees where you could see the little critters (not rabbits /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) in the trees. Kinda important with a singleshot 22 cal. We found that there were more wolves/warbles in the game if you hunted near the cow pastures. Good memories. I think I will kill a couple for the wife and I. Guess I'll get to cook them!

TK

/ Squirrel Season #7  
Yep,
Here in North Mississippi, we used to see them occasionally in cottontails, but I never recall seeing them at all in squirrels. I was told that they are not a problem in the rabbits if you wait untill after the first frost to hunt them. We also called them "wolves"

Ken

/ Squirrel Season
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will wait till after the first frost to have squirrel and dumplings.
Gerald

/ Squirrel Season #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Guess I'll get to cook them! </font> )</font>

Sounds to me like she might let you eat them too ............ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Squirrel Season #10  
Roughcut, you're probably right. I know she ate many while growing up. Ain't it funny how some folks get above their raisin!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TK