Morton buildings...price negotiable?

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Question for you guys that have dealt with morton buildings before...once you get the detailed quote from the rep, is it assumed that there is negotiating room on the price? Kind of like buying a car? or is it more like going to the supermarket where the price is the price?

If it is negotiable, I am curious how much some of you have been able to negotiate?

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #2  
Morton is pretty much a take it or leave it price from my experience. A pole barn is very easy to build ejb. If you have some time to get it done I would seriously consider doing it yourself. It may take a few months but the pride of doing it yourself is well worth it. Or find a local carpenter that can help you with the project or get the guys together for the weekend. The only really hard part is getting it square. Once you've got it square the rest is downhill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #3  
They do not negotiate the price but sometimes they have off season specials and give discounts on some upgrades depending on what you are buying. After my experience with them I'd suggest you use a different company. At least consider others and take several bids. The price difference might be a shock to you.

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #4  
I have a friend who bought a building kit from Menards a year or so ago and it's really nice. He did it himself but they have contractors they can refer you to for installation. He had to rent a crane for a day to set the trusses, but other than that it was all hand labor.

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable?
Yea, I am most likely not going to use morton, but I am going thru the process of getting bids so I can at least know how much I am saving if/when I decide to build myself...I actually am not too crazy about the way the mortons look, and would prefer a wood sided building.

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #6  
ejb,
I don't know if you would consider U.S. Buildings or not, because it is the quansit style. I went back and forth with those people for about 3 weeks, and they were friendly and willing to deal.

After requesting their literature and reading up on strength and snow loads, I learned to like its funny looking appearance alot more. The funny thing about it was the less interested I seemed the more discounts and add ons they were able to give me. And as I had not poured my slab I was flexable about the size. They called me often to tell me what was available...and the last time they did they had a 24'X36X14' with a end wall ($1100 option) for $10.800, and I got it delivered to my property for $5700 with the end wall included free. It took us 5 days to assemble 18 - 22" sections that consisted of 5 pieces per section.

I couldn't be happier with the out come, and the building is water tight as every 5/16" bolt is furnished with neoprene wahers. This was 2 years ago September and it was one of the better business investments I have made in a long time.
I would include pictures but they are on my other hard drive.

Good luck, Mark

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #7  
I put up a 24X36 three years ago. I settled on ARCO Building Systems, Inc. in Norcross, GA. www.arcosteel.com 800-241-8339. I got 10' sidewalls, insulation, 2-10' overhead doors, 1-36" walk-in door. They provided bolt drawings, etc. for my concrete guy. When he was done, they shipped the whole package on a trailer. Their erectors met the trailer, unloaded, and went to work. After less than two full days, the 4-man crew left with the keys in my hand. Cost then was $7800 + $2600 installation + concrete.

I'm very pleased with the building. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #8  
They build 5% into every bid.. most salesmen put up to 10% they get a bonus at the end of the year for the overage they charge customers. friend of mine used to sell them. great building... bad corporation.

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #9  
some one else to look into is "Durabuilt" I'm sure you can find them with a quick search, they matched my quotes and beat the price. I ended up having local amish build mine but was pretty much same construction for similar price. after all was said & done I wish I had durabilt do it as the after the fact findings the amish crew did not do a lot of details I would have made sure that was done prior to final payments if I had the other guys do.

mark

/ Morton buildings...price negotiable? #10  
Question for you guys that have dealt with morton buildings before...once you get the detailed quote from the rep, is it assumed that there is negotiating room on the price? Kind of like buying a car? or is it more like going to the supermarket where the price is the price?

If it is negotiable, I am curious how much some of you have been able to negotiate?

If you want to get the most building for the dollar this is what you need to do.

Forget about "brand names" it isn't rocket science its just a barn. If you want fancy it will cost you a premium.

1. Make a sketch of the building you want, define all windows and doors, roof overhangs and roofing and siding materials. Make 8 or 10 copies of your sketch.

2. Take this sketch to all the big box building stores. If you have to drive 50 miles it will be worth it. Have them work up a material package price for you. Taxes and delivery included

3. Take the same sketch to all your local lumber yards for a package price.

4. Call your local independent (up to 100 miles away) pole barn builders, offer them a chance to bid on it also, breaking out the material and labor. Tell them you are sourcing material packages from several places and will buy the material and the labor from the lowest bidders. If you let any of them talk you into some cost saving material or plan revisions, make sure you pass the revised plans back to all your bidders so they have a level playing field. They can often suggest substitutions and or changes that can save you money.

5. Review the bids and award the work to the bidders you feel most comfortable with.

Using this method I bought a new 40 x 60 x 14 foot sidewall, 4 windows, one man door, one 12 x 13 insulated overhead door, 1 foot overhang, ventilated soffets and full length ridge vent, shingled roof with dimensional shingles to match the house, trusses on 24 inch centers designed for northern michigan snow loads material package for $13,625 delivered to my property all taxes included.

The materials came from a lumber yard over 100 miles away.

The labor to have it built was $4800. The erection crew came from 30 miles south of where I live, in talking to them they informed me that they travel up to 200 miles to do a job. They have built so many barns that they have it down to a science (and they work real hard). It is almost impossible for someone who doesn't specialize in pole barns to compete with them. The crew leader has been building barns for 35 years. They put my barn up in 3 1/2 days.

I awarded the concrete work to a local independent contractor, his bid was only $130 higher than the lowest bid, but our area is suffering greatly from the overall economy, the unemployment rate is over 20% and for the small difference it is worth it to me the keep the money in our comminity. I got a great barn to replace the one I lost in a fire. I think I got a lot of barn for the money spent.:D:D:D

photo 1 barn kit delivered
photo 2 progress day one
photo 2 progress day two
photo 3 done:cool:
photo 4 done!! they built the barn in less time that I spent replacing the 4 windows and the melted siding on south side my house:cool:

Attachments

• barn kit.JPG
    barn kit.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 3,740
  • day 1.JPG
    day 1.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 11,160
  • day 2.JPG
    day 2.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 9,350
  • done.JPG
    done.JPG