Darned yellow lady bugs are back

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #1  

slowrev

Elite Member
Tractor
IH 2444
Just today they arrived and there must be 500 or more of those darned little bugs on my house, not too many inside yet though. Would spraying the outside of my house with Sevin or something help ? Any ideas ?

Ben

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #2  
I can only add that this year (2 weeks ago today) they were covering the house, as you just described (my guess would have been more than that number though).

I bought some bugicide called BugMax365 that has deltamethrin in it (0.03%). I put a gallon in my garden sprayer and sprayed the house, under the eaves, and where the board and batten siding meets the shingle siding. That afternoon, they were gone. I mean gone period. Saw some dead ones (can tell when their wings extend out) and have not found any since. I have been wondering if I just killed them, chased them away, or they for some reason quit coming. Not sure. But, I bought another gallon and sprayed the ridge vent on the roof, sprayed the wood stacked for drying, sprayed the shed, and touched up again around the house. They are gone.

I learned a bit about this chemical and others on:

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/ipm/insects/ladybeetle.htm

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #3  
Ben
It's been a good year. Have not seen a single one here in SE Michigan.

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #4  
Last year was like a horor movie here in north east IL
those dam bugs were every where!
We dont have 1/2 as many yet?
Gene

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #6  
That was interesting, and hadn't heard of the ladybird (other than a previous President's wife called that).
The ones I have been discussing are actually called Asian lady beetles (Harmonia axyridis), but they get called a lot of things, some un-printable. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Apparently native to Japan.

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back
Import from Japan, dang can't we export some pest to japan for balance of trade /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #8  
Last year we were just inundated with bazillions of the asian beatles, this year we only had them one day, and the next day 99% of them were gone. Last year we were surrounded by bean fields, and this year it was mostly corn and wheat. I don't know if that made the difference or that last year I filled up a 5 gallon shop vac with the little buggers from my screened in back porch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #9  
We are having our first nice sunny day in what seems like weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Darned yellow lady bugs are back are so thick that I had to quit my projects outside. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Darned yellow lady bugs are back #10  
ronjhall, They just haven't made it there yet , They hit southern Md. last weekend but not too bad.

Well I hadn't read the last post before I posted Ron's first post ,guess I was right for once /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif