covering a ditch - one more time

/ covering a ditch - one more time #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
After reading some previous postings about "eliminating" that good ole ditch in the front ... I decided it was about time. I'm tired of the reeds ... and the water and the additional difficulty in mowing ...
I got the permit and, unfortunately, can't use plastic. What I can use is unknown ... I imagine metal culvert or concrete culvert ... but I thought someone might be able to translate for me.
The permit says '12" RCP or CMP. No plastic tile permitted. 1-24" catchbasin and 1 flared end section to be installed with tile. I'm guessing that the CMP is corrugated metal pipe? And the RCP is R??? Concrete Pipe? Catchbasin is a much bigger chunk of pipe? The fared end is the outlet where my property ends (and therefore the ditch begins again?
Anyone that has done this want to decipher for me? Sounds like this could be a lot more expensive that I'd first envisioned since I imagine the catchbasin will add a significant cost?

pete

too bad that common sense ain't

/ covering a ditch - one more time #2  
rcp -- reinforced concrete pipe?
flared end means one of those tapered shrouds that
clamp around the pipe.

Catch basin -- concrete inlet to direct the water in?

/ covering a ditch - one more time #3  
Basically all a catch basin is is so that when the water comes out of the inlet it isn't eroding away the soil after it. Here in Iowa for a catch basin you can use 3-4" rock past the outlet for a few feet to stop the erosion. You're not looking at much money. I would go with the corrugated steel pipe with two flanges at each end and the 3-4" rock on each end should be sufficient.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ covering a ditch - one more time
after I posted that I found some time (4+" of rain yesterday afternoon, and some significant amounts of hail) to do some searching on the net ... I was pretty sure what the catch basin was ... but I thought I'd better make sure ... 'cause I remembered that the guy at the permit office had asked whether our sump drained into the ditch and, if so, to mark the location when I staked out the ends for them to examine fo rthe permit. Sure enough ... that where they want the catchbasin. In the middle of the culvert run. So, in checking the net, it turns out that a catch basin is almost like a sump catch. It's a section that's much larger than the culvert, has a recess (bottom) to hold water ... and, from descriptions, acts somewhat like a leach field ... allows water to soak into ground (underneath). So ... after research ... looks like I'll need a catch basin ... about $400 (only price I saw on the net) about 200 feet of 2" spiral steel culvert ... about 2/3 of the price of concrete ... and 5 connectors. I already have a road crossing and my ditch starts after a rod ... so I'll have one 30 foot stretch between the 2 roads and then 100 feet to the catchbasin and another 100 feet afterwards. And the flare is .. as others have mentioned ... to stop the water eroding the dirt. They specifically said they didn't want flat (bulkhead) exits ... finding that less erosion occurred with the tapered method.
Looks like about a thousand dollar project ... about double what I'd planned ... but it might still be worth it to get rid of that eyesore out front.

too bad that common sense ain't