cell phone antenna for home?

/ cell phone antenna for home? #11  
Worth a call to your cell company as well, maybe first. I have a metal roof and no signal, a teeny bit of signal outside. I ordered a yagi antenna, pointed it everywhich way for hours and couldn't gain anything. Called our cell provider, they sent a tech out to our land and we are in a "dead zone". Based on {lack of} population density, they aren't likely to fix this for me anytime soon. Still for alot of people, the $30 antenna approach is workable. Some companies also offer a version which does not need a ground plane, it is intended for other applications like boats. Good Luck

/ cell phone antenna for home? #12  
Fishman the One I've seen comes with the lilt 3" ground plane kit that has 3 - 3" post sticking out horizontally from the antenna.
If you don't have a good ground plane it will effect the signal. If you have sheet metal roof you have a monster one. If not try a 12" or so square or round peace of sheet metal.

Keep in mind the Ground plane has some effect on sending and receiving of the signals.

Basicaly you want the ground plane at 90deg to the antenna and the antenna straight up or down.

That stuff said, Ive seen folks atach a small plate to there aluminium gutters and then stick the mag antenn to that. I would not connect my gutters to earth ground.... I knew a HAM operator that did this and got them struck by lightening shortly there after... Could just be bad luck, but it does go for the path of least WORK....like ME /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wilson_trucker_antenna.jpg

/ cell phone antenna for home?
Thanks to you both. I think this is going to work. Most of the time we have an adequate signal, and a little boost should fix me right up.

/ cell phone antenna for home? #14  
If anyone is curious about more prices, check out this site for Nextel 800Mhz and many PCS type phones 1850-190MHz .

Base station antenna parts

You would need to make your own cable most likely.