Disposing of road kill

/ Disposing of road kill #1  

MikeFromVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110
There was a dead deer across from the corner of my lot a few days back. This corner happens to be where my 5yo waits for his bus in the AM. When he returned from school he looked at the carcass and saw that the eyes and part of the face had been eaten away. While we explained that's how nature is, we could see that watching the continuing process on a daily basis was not a great idea. The DOT said that it should be handled by the lot owner. The lot is still being developed so I put it in my FEL and dumped it into a construction dumpster.

My question is, what do most people do to dispose of dead carcasses like this? I could have found somewhere to dump it on my 7 acres, but I'd rather not leave it there.

/ Disposing of road kill #2  
A neighbor of mine down the way took his backhoe out and buried it by the road. The phone company was out an hour later fixing the line. I'd say burying is best, just make sure of the phone/gas/power lines and it's deep enough.

/ Disposing of road kill #3  
Pictures!! We want to see pictures!!

Well not really.

Actually our road commision takes care of these.

I would have dumped it in the back of my place and crow or coyote hunted over it.

/ Disposing of road kill #4  
Push it back onto the road and it will county will take care of it asap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TBAR

/ Disposing of road kill #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The DOT said that it should be handled by the lot owner. )</font>

In my area, the county road commision will dispose of roadkill if called. This is a separate group from the DOT.

/ Disposing of road kill #6  
Around here, if it dies on the road, it is the county's problem and they will quickly remove it, if called. If it dies in your yard, it is your problem. We find many dead animals in our woods along the highway. They usually are reduced to skin and bones withing a week and then just bones within a month. Our kids are facinated by it. We go and check on the remains when we take walks. Sometimes the bones have been dragged around by scavangers. My little one sometimes puts flowers near the carcasses. Then it's "Come on dad! This is boooring!" and off we go. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Disposing of road kill #7  
I guess it depends on what type of area you're in, but dead critters are a common occurrence on our 42 acres in the Sierra foothills. Since I'm mostly a suburbanite, I was originally surprised at how quickly even the larger carcasses disappear all by themselves. Nowadays, if I discover Bambi's body anywhere near where my kids are likely to see it, I just cart it somewhere more off their beaten path and dump it behind a bush. Within a week, or even less, there is no trace of it, except for the occassional 'burp' from the local scavengers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Disposing of road kill
Thanks for all of the replies. Since I'm on a small dirt road, I hope this will not happen too often.

Moss - My 3yo would be much like your kids but my 5yo is more sensistive about that kind of thing...

/ Disposing of road kill #9  
Hey - Hey now!

That's Goodyear stew meat for some of us less affluent souls! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Disposing of road kill #10  
The only deer I've managed to get was with a Buick. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Fortunately where I live the county is pretty good about getting the larger road kill. We've had to call animal control when we have had the occasional raccoon with distemper or something appear and not go away.