wood stoves

/ wood stoves #11  
We put in a Regency insert a year ago. We had looked at VC, Lopi, and others. We had the dealer install it along with a stainless liner in the existing chimney even though it has a tile lined flue. It really saved us a lot of $ last year in propane heat, had a lot of below 0 days last year. Our propane dealer got a little cranky, they have to drive about 40 miles to get to us, when they came down and only took about 100 gallons to top off our 500 gallon tank. They started calling or coming every 2-3 months before a delivery. The insert was the largest we could fit into the fireplace and does a great job heating the front of our ranch home. The back of the house gets a little cool when it's cold. I had originally wanted a woodstove that could cook/bake with but the prices for them were to much and I didn't want another hole in my roof. Try doing some google searches for wood stoves. There are some great stoves out there, and don't forget to check for used ones or "blemished" models if you have a local fireplace shop.

/ wood stoves
thanks for the help

I think we are going to go with the lopi endeaver wood stove. I am going to have the sales place do the stove and through roof chimmney install(don't want to find out the hard way I don't know what I am doing) except maybe for the hearth pad. they said that is not to bad to do and have materials and will help guide what I need. hopfully toasty nights and lower gas bills are ahead of me

/ wood stoves #13  
We have a Vermont Castings Defiant that heats approx 3,500 square heat and is our only source of heat for the last fifteen years. It really puts out some serious heat.

It is excellent stove and the platinum catalyst is awesome as well, when you get it hot enough to light off the catalyst (+450F) then it really puts out double the heat and not smoke, just water vapor.

Attachments

• 539029-Great Room Wood Stove.jpg
    539029-Great Room Wood Stove.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,473
   / wood stoves #14  
We recently completed the "final" home. I have used Vermont Castings in the past (2 stoves and 1 insert) and have been very pleased. The Defiant we installed in the new house is the most efficient on the market, I believe. We used a separate air supply.

See the pictures posted on 11/30 for a view of our installation. The material behind and under the stove is 24"X24" slate.

We have never had a problem with Vermont Castings.

Bill

/ wood stoves #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( See the pictures posted on 11/30 for )</font>

Cannot find a post by you on 11/30. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ wood stoves #16  
This method of posting pictures is new to me; been gone too long. Look under Photos: property, land, etc>homes.

Let me know if you can't find them there.

Bill

/ wood stoves #17  
Greenthumb,

Have you or your installer checked with your local (state?) mechanical inspector? I live in Northern Michigan, and the inspector for my area stated that code requires a source for outside combustion air, along with required minimum clearances as recommended by the stove manufacturer. Since my ceiling pipe was 11 inches from the rear wall, I had a hard time finding a stove that worked. I ended up with a Country Flame model R, and it seems to be ideal, although it is being discontinued by country flame, and cost $1800.00

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ wood stoves #18  
I also have a Hearthstone soapstone stove and can strongly recommend them. They have the advantages of the catalytic combustion chamber and the heat retention of the soapstone.

Another thing to think about is if you have small children around, the soapstone in my opinion is a better choice. Friends of mine with cast iron stoves can barely get near the things when they're really stoked. The soapstone, although hot, never seams to be dangerously scalding. It'll still burn little fingers if they accidentally touch it, but it wont fry them off.

orb

/ wood stoves #19  
i've used a many a wood stove; and still don't think the ole standard warm morning, king, ashley, or even the cheaper model the wonderwood, can be beat; never heard of a kid gettin burned on one of em, and they do a great job.
heehaw

/ wood stoves #20  
Is pellet stoves an option to you? I have one and I'll never go back to wood again. The heat consistancy is incredible. If wood is the only option then I understand. Just throwing that out there as another option.

I installed my pellet stove in the house and didn't tell anyone. Wonder if I did something wrong? Hmmm...........
Does it matter to insurance companies if you have a stove in your house? I guess I don't know that answer honestly.....