Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Muskrat Love

My parents in IN have quite a time with muskrats destroying seawalls around the lake...then you get to watch the yard decay into the water. Dad has mentioned attempts to relocate them without success - they're always back. Or some are back - we don't exactly check IDs. I was a teenager at a high point in the market, so did a good bit of trapping muskrats. I can highly recommend Conibear traps (over legholds or snares) as easy, quick, clean (instant kill, no blood, etc). Set right in the mouth of the run, chained to a stick a little off to one side. One of these will clean out a den in a week or so. My understanding is there's no season on muskrats now, like there used to be. That is, open season all the time.

Tractor
    JD4300 HST

Rich, the catch'em alive experiment is over and it was a failure. I only managed to catch a coon and a bass (believe it or not). The muskrats will soon be going to that big pond in the sky.

Chuck in IN

Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

Sorry it didn't work, Chuck, but I appreciate you trying!! You've gotta expalin how you caught a bass in a havahart trap!!![img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Was it completely submerged?

Rich

Platinum Member

You could be on to something with that bass trap!!! That really gave me a chuckle this morning!!

Tractor
    Kubota B2710/LA402 FEL, R4's

Chuck- Do you think you could catch geese in these traps... or at least their poop [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]?

Dave

Tractor
    JD4300 HST

It's a mystery how the bass got into the trap. One end was submerged about 2 inches. I guess the bass jump into the trap after a bug? Probably could set that trap there for 100 years and that wouldn't happen again! :-)

Geese are another story. There are a few here that come and go but not a problem. Would need a bigger trap and doubt peanut butter would interest them. Corn might work?

Chuck in IN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12