Muskrat Love

/ Muskrat Love #1  

rekees

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD4300 HST
Anyone out there have any suggestions/experiences on how to get rid of muskrats without killing them?

Chuck in IN

/ Muskrat Love #2  
.22 Long Rifle

/ Muskrat Love #3  
Move to New Mexico. They ain't got nuttin' out there./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

JimI

/ Muskrat Love #4  
I guess you could try trapping them with a baited Havahart trap and then relocating them to a state game lands or national forest.

I vote for the .22 though - these things are destructive pests. You certainly won't win any friends if you relocate them onto someone's private property.

/ Muskrat Love #5  
I don't know about your state, but in Ohio it is now unlawful to catch and release in other areas. I guess the country folk already have their hands full with wildlife.

LOL I never used to like to waste anything so we even picked up nice road kills and skinned and tanned the furs. Had some really nice fox, mink, weasel, muskrat and racoon pelts. It's fairly easy to tan furs and then at least that life served some purpose. I know "furs" are not "in" right now, but they sure make nice collars on winter coats and glove/mitten liners, etc.

Sorry I guess I'm an old time boy and just use what's available.

Dr Dan

/ Muskrat Love #6  
Chuck, I like your question! I won't kill any critters. I even use Havahart traps when I get mice in my house, and release them deep in the woods miles from any houses. I believe everything has a right to live, and its not their fault that we built houses in their habitats.
Anyway, havahart traps work for muskrats. I've had success baiting them with peanut butter in a location where you've seen them. Just make sure you transport quite a distance away, and I suggest not near the same creek or body of water. They cover alot of ground when they're swimming.
Good luck!! Let us know how it works out.
Rich

/ Muskrat Love
Rich, thanks for the advice. Until your post I was on the verge of shooting them. I'm going to try one of those havahart traps. Peanut butter sure works for mice but never thought muskrats would like it. Where did you set the trap? Just put it at the edge of the shoreline on the ground, slightly in the water, or on a floating platform? Did you cover it with anything to kinda camouflage it?

Chuck in IN

/ Muskrat Love #8  
Chuck, I put the havahard right at the water's edge. Putting it in the water may slow down the mechanism and allow them to escape before the trap closes. I didn't camouflage it, but I never thought of that, it might be a good idea. Also don't be discouraged if the peanut butter doesn't work. If it doesn't let me know and I'll try to look up the perfered foods of muskrats. I had tried several baits before I used the peanut butter, and none of them worked. Unfortunately I can't remember what I used, but since they didn't work, I guess it doesn't matter. Good luck, let us know how it goes!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Rich

/ Muskrat Love #9  
Dr Dan

Furs are out of fashion? I must be behind the times. I thought the rule was: "I kill it, I skin it, I eat it, I hang its head on my wall and it's hide on my woman's shoulders." /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

What process do you use for tanning your hides? I've done a lot of reading on it, but never actually TRIED. Had a deer hide in the freezer and finally gave it away.

SHF

/ Muskrat Love #10  
Re: Furs being in fashion -- I seem to remember hearing that fur prices are actually expected to be reasonable this next season (winter). Most US fur appears to go to China and Russia from what I understand.

The market is very cyclical. Trappers get bummed about low fur prices and don't go out. The amount of fur available drops and then prices go up. All the yahoos go out again and the market crashes. Supply and demand.