Need info on pintle hitch

/ Need info on pintle hitch #1  

DrDan

Gold Member
Tractor
G1800 & BX2200
I am looking at an 8' X 16' flatbed trailer with double axles, electric brakes, etc. Only quirp is it has a pintle hitch. I've never deal with one of them.

With this type of hitch do they pull straight without any wobble? I need it to haul 100 to 1200 miles with up to 3000# on it. Just wonder about the hitch - always used a ball hitch before.

Dr Dan

/ Need info on pintle hitch #2  
The only place I've seen pintles used is on heavy stuff (logging and farming equip, ie. off road). Seems like it'd be harder to hook up than a ball hitch and more prone to front end wobble. Can you take it somewhere and have the pintle replaced with a ball type? I think you'd feel more comfortable with it.

SHF

Not much help, but maybe it'll keep your post newer on the list until someone more knowledgable sees it. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Need info on pintle hitch #3  
Dan,
The pintle hitch is kind of like the alternate gooseneck hitch that was tryed some years back. It was like a truck hitch where you backed into the hitch and two clamps locked around the hitch and then you secured it with the bigger one. It is similiar to what the semis use. It was certainly a better hitch but never caught on and died out. Once in awhile you'll see one, but most of them have been converted to the ball gooseneck. Anyway same as your pintle hitch. It was an alternate hitch to the ball mount because of the thinking that it would be heavier duty. I've pulled them with heavy loads and never had a problem with wobble at all. I wouldn't buy it though just because then it's one more hitch that you have to be able to use. Shoot I don't even change balls anymore. I just have four different hitch mounts with a different ball so I don't have to mess with always changing balls. The older I get the more I subscribe to the KISS principle. Keep it simple. Plus if you ever go to sell it it will be harder to sell because of it. But if you're just wanting a cheap trailer and can put up with that hitch there aren't any problems with it from when I've used them.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Need info on pintle hitch #4  
How much slop is there between the hook and eye on the pintle. The ones I've seen make me think the tongue could rise under panic braking. Or am I just not picturing this right?

SHF

/ Need info on pintle hitch #5  
There is no engineering problem that I have ever heard of with a pintle hitch. The military uses them with few problems on and off road. The real question is: Is it convenient "ENOUGH" for your purposes? I will be taking delivery of a new 8x18 tandem axle trailer, probably Sat or Monday. I looked it over this PM. They knew I was anxious so when they had a minor temporary material shortage they made a substitution of 7 inch channel for side frame and tongue where they would have used 6 inch. I'm not complaining, or worrying about the tongue! They recomended (and I took their recommendation) that it be fitted with a "bulldog" hitch. Like you, when faced with the pintle, I had never used one so I had to ask questions. It uses a standard ball but the hitch on the trailer wraps around the ball horizontally instead of dropping onto it vertically. The hitch is rated for 10,500 lbs trailer weight (weight carrying, not weight distributing). This neccessitates buying a new ball as they recommended a 2 5/16 ball. If you should choose to replace the pintle with a ball, consider the 2 5/16 version as they are available in much higher ratings. It is relatively hard to find a 2 in ball rated above, say 7-7500 lbs (I found one rated at 8000). It is easy to find a 2 5/16 ball rated at various levels up to and including 30,000 lbs. My receiver hitch is rated for 14,000 lbs (class five, 2 1/2 inch draw bar rather than "standard 10,000 lb 2 inch). I will buy a 30,000 lb ball ($39.00) so it won't be the weak link. Getting anxious... trailer is ready for delivery except for tires (16 in load range E, the tire guy didn't bring them to the trailer company today so we wait...) Oh yeah, consider a Titan class 5 hitch rated at 14,000 lbs for extra peace of mind. Good luck to you!

Patrick

/ Need info on pintle hitch
Thank you for all the information. This trailer was built out of old house trailer iron and I just don't feel comfortable with it. I am trying to buy a Ford F250 with a diamond plate flat bed on it and think I will wait a little while and get a nice beaver tail trailer in the gooseneck version. I think they are a little easier to back up.

As I have previously said, I'm in a wheelchair so I don't appreciate breakdowns on the interstate. Willing to pay for quality and reliability. Besides I have a he## of a temper when machinery fails so I generally wait and get the best I can find.

Thanks again,

Dr Dan