Problem with furnace burners

/ Problem with furnace burners #1  

DannyD

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 23
My furnace burners will start and then go out, sometimes up to 3 times before they stay lit long enough for the blower to come on. It is about 10 years old, electronic ignition, propane fuel. Theres is no thermocoupler that I can see, but there is a small rod that sticks up in the burners on the opposite side from the ignitor.

Any ideas or hints to fix.

/ Problem with furnace burners #2  
Take that small rod out and use a piece of emery cloth or fine sandpaper on it lightly. That usually fixes the problem.

/ Problem with furnace burners #3  
Danny what you are describing is called a flame sensor, and it should merely have a low voltage wire running from it.

Sometimes those little buggers will build up an oxide coating on them that will prevent a good electrical connection to tell your electronic control that the burner flame has established itself,so the burner cycles back off.

Shut off power to the furnace and see if you can use a piece of steel wool to gently clean the flame sensor. You may have to remove it to gain access. carefully inspect the ceramic or porcelain on the flame sensor base and if you see any small cracks than it will need to be replaced. Clean any steel wool fibers from the sensor and reinstall it.

Check your furnace filter while you're in the area, reinstall both the clean filter and the flame sensor and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Did I say not to forget to turn the breaker back on? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Problem with furnace burners
Thanks guys. A close check of the "instruction" manual showed me the same thing. That thing sticking in the flame could very well be corroded. As for the filter, cleaned it yesterday, and what was that about turning off the breaker...........as in the great tim allen fashion, we dont need to turn off no breakers.............heheehhehhehhehehehhehe

thanks again, I will let you know!

ok, took it out, cleaned it off, it was black with junk, shined it up real good, put it back, worked for now.

Question, the ceramic around it is not broken, but the rod which has the connector for the lv tunns in the ceramic, as in it is loose. Should I be concerned with this.

thanks

/ Problem with furnace burners #6  
That's the way they are from the factory. Don't lose any sleep over it.

thanks guys, it sure is nice to not listen for it to work.............doing fine all day now, and it is cold here now too. Saved me a service call, on Sunday no doubt, I do appreciate it