Intruder in the woods

/ Intruder in the woods #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Ok, I have to tell ya'll this one.

We live on a dead end road, surrounded by wooded ravines that make our property very difficult get to except by our private road.

Friday evening I got home from work at about 5:20 and I noticed that our dog Luna was in her kennel. Since this is not the norm I asked my wife about it. She had to work that night and said that she kenneled the dog because Luna was goin nuts barking at something in the woods. She figured it was a coon or a skunk and asked me to let her out after I fed the horses and rabbits.

She left for work and I started doing the chores. About halfway through chores I let Luna out and she made a beeline straight for the woods just past the horse padock. She was barking like crazy and I yelled for her until she came back to me. I put her back in the kennel and finished feeding the horses. I noticed the horses weren't their usual selves. They refused to go in the loafing shed to eat and instead paced around snorting and blowing and trying to act as mean as they could. I knew they were really spooked. I've never seen them not go straight for their grain when I feed em.

The whole time this was happening all I could think of were coyotes. Last year we had one go nose to nose with Luna and I had to fire the 12 gauge in the air to get it to leave. They hadn't been back since but I figured with the snow on the ground they were getting desperate and wanted our rabbits.

After I finished chores I went in the house and got the shotgun. I found my 2 spotlights and both were very low on power. I went outside and let Luna out so she could show me where the critter was and she didn't waste any time. I followed her to the woods and then called her back to me. I shined my spotlight and saw a pair of eyes shining back at me. I thought to myself, wow, this thing is big! The eyes were too far apart for most animals I could think of and they must have been 4ft. off the ground. Then I saw a second pair. They barely moved back and forth a little like the were trying to see around the light. I must have been about 20-30ft. from them and they weren't going anywhere.

With Luna behind me I decided to fire into the air and run whatever they were off and down into the 30ft. deep ravine. I pumped the shotgun took the safety off and fired once in the air. I shined the spot expecting to see nothing and hear the leaves rustling. To my surprise the eyes were just about where they were before I fired. By this time my crappy undercharged spotlight was running out. I fired in the air again. This time whatever it was slowly retreated. I could hear the leaves rustling as it made it's way down into the ravine. I can tell you I wasn't about to follow em to see where they were going even if my spotlight hadn't run out. I knew they weren't deer because they run when Luna barks at em. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. By this time the dog had run off and all I could do was yell for her to come home. I wasn't sure if she was chasing whatever it was or she just ran because she's getting gun shy. I called and called but she didn't come. My only choice was to call the nearest neighbor and borrow his spotlight.

I was going to get the light and drive the bronco around as much of the property as I could to try to find the dog.

I called the neighbor and couldn't believe how he answered the phone. He says, "hey, do you got any beef?" I say, "what the **** are you talking about?" He proceeds to tell me that there were two cows running loose in the woods that day! It turned out they were calves, we saw em today. They are running with a herd of deer evidently. I ended up finding Luna quite a ways from the house and everybody lived happily ever after. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THE END

Kevin

PS The neighbor talked to the guy that owns the calves. They've been loose for 4 days and been as far as 3 miles away through the woods around here. I doubt that he'll catch em until they gain some weight and slow down a little maybe in the summer. Either that or someone will nail one in a car and he'll be in big trouble.

/ Intruder in the woods #2  
The problem with loose cattle is that they turn wild if left loose for too long and can't be caught. That happened to a few around central Ma. lately. The guy chased them for weeks. I believe one ended up as road kill.

/ Intruder in the woods #3  
Kevin, I wouldn't want to be around your place in the dark. I like the animated shotgun toter you got there.

Your story reminded me of my neighbor who has a farm. He had a calf that was blind, His small kids simply nicknamed it "blindeye" and I think they took care of it. As the calf got bigger, it got out of the fence one day, and basically lived in the cornfields and neighbor's gardens all summer. He had a hard time getting that one back. After that, he decided his best course of action was to take it to the processing plant as he couldn't have it getting out on other people's property and eating their gardens, and such . Sometime later, while sitting down at the kitchen table and passing the meat plate around, the youngest son looks at his dad and says " Daddy , is this a piece of ole Blindeye ?" My neighbor, who routinely raised beef cattle, was a bit taken back by those words coming out of the mouth of his little one. Indeed it was.

/ Intruder in the woods #4  
Any time a farm animal develops a name it seems to revert from product status to family status.

Egon

/ Intruder in the woods #5  
Same thing happened to my sister when she was a kid. I wasn't born then but mom and dad did tell her yes it was and it didn't seem to bother her. She's 33 now and still eats beef.

/ Intruder in the woods #6  
My seven year old daughter wants me to take up turkey hunting because, as she says, "We could eat them and they are ugly!" She doesn't like that "red stuff" on their heads. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Intruder in the woods #7  
The day after I finished grading the road on my back gate I noticed a very large cow track walking right up it into my place. I looked all over for it, but never found it.

/ Intruder in the woods #8  
Well here is one that tries to tresspass on my place all the time. I generally let him. He is bigger than my pickup.

Attachments

• 571353-Brahma+Bull+-+Old+Blue+-+body.jpg
    571353-Brahma+Bull+-+Old+Blue+-+body.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 313
   / Intruder in the woods #9  
Ouch - is he as tough and mean as he looks? I'm used to Bears, Timber Wolves, etc., but nothing as nasty as that up here by the Big Lake.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif