Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall...

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #41  
Cowboydoc, I'm sorry because with 4,000+ acres surely you know the difference between a cow and a deer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The problem isn't so much that corn is bad its the storage and handling of the corn versus processed in this case goat feed that is indeed protein enhanced that is the issue. Feed designed to feed livestock is typically bought at feed stores that store their feed indoors where its kept dry and corn especially during deer season and after that, even at feed stores is most times found outside by the front door and around Texas at most grocery stores, convience stores, walmart and many others all typically store it outdoors in the weather and mildew is forever present in the wet environment that they keep it in. If you get corn from a feed store that stores it correctly its no longer a danger from the standpoint of containing mildewed spoiled corn but it still isn't as nutritious as a processed feed that is protein and mineral enhanced in this case goat feed which is the closest balance for a deer's nutritional requirements and yes corn is a major part of any processed feed for livestock. Besides the FDA site that states that corn containing the aflatoxins that it considers not good for human consumption but it is passed on to the livestock feed market as it doesn't have to pass this test to feed to livestock.
Steve

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall...
I have resolved the issue... I obtained my corn and goat food from the local pet shop. They even delivered it after they closed and the nice lady that delivered it, stayed all night ..... Mrs. Junkman..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #43  
I guess that "bait" pile really worked ! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #44  
Junkman, There's nothing like a delivery service that stays the night. A month or so ago my honey called me from an antiqueing adventure all excited she said the feed store had just gotten in some new feed and they didn't have enough space to store it so they put it on sale a $3.00 a bag for the weekend. She bought a 1,000 lbs and brought it to the ranch in the back of her Trooper she was so proud I didn't tell her how much to buy so she got all that would fit. I found out shortly after unloading it that I didn't have room in my feeders or store room for 20 bags of goat feed so my equines had a little free food for a week or so the only problem is when they start braying now as most are donkey's and mules it sounds more like Baahhhhaaw. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #45  
Steve I know what you are doing with deer is similiar to what I am doing raising cattle and horses. For example what I feed my performance horses trying to gain that little edge no way pays dividends back for the average horse owner. It's the same for these guys feeding deer. They don't care how big the horns are or feeding for optimum nutrition. They're just giving the deer some extra feed. And corn alone is going to carry the deer through and be a good feed source. Yes the mold problem is real but it's just as real with processed feeds. Most every processed feed, and most of them have a great deal of corn, they say not to feed if you have any mold.

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #46  
I still think the RPPM (rat poop per million) in grainery corn is a tad higher than the frozen stuff I get at the market. IF IT ISNT, DONT TELL ME!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cowboy has it right. I am not trying to raise a blue ribbon herd of deer. I just want them to at least be able to get a few bites twice a week.

You dont want to overfeed deer. Their systems change in the winter (from what I have read) so that they can live on woody browse and dryed grass that they can uncover. Feeding a steady diet of corn in the winter can do as much harm as good. If you feed enought so that they get used to real food, you HAVE to feed or they will die. When the ice covers the ground, I just want them to get a few mouthfulls to get by on. So far we havent had a big freeze so I really havent fed much, maybe 3- 3 lb coffee cans over 4 weeks.

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #47  
The way I see it, the deer problem is primarily two parts - Rural and Urban. In this Rural area, the problem is primarily car-deer acccidents. with some over-browsing of young second growth and young plantations. In Urban areas the problem can be handled with fences for the vegetable garneners, anti-deer spray for the flower gardeners and slowing down and driving the speed limit for the car-deer accidents. - granted there will be exceptions. The only meaningful way to control the deer population is harvesting/hunting. There's no deer problem on the 4 Indian Reservations in this area as they take care of that on a year around basis. Perhaps the DNR should be a little more liberal in their Harvest Quotas.

Fed my small deer herd today and attaching a picture of a small-skinny fawn that is going to need help to make it through the next 4-6 weeks. Could let this little guy "Eat Cake", but think he prefers a little corn and old bread once a week.
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 583777-Skinny fawn.jpg
    583777-Skinny fawn.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 91
   / Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #48  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Perhaps the DNR should be a little more liberal in their Harvest Quotas.
)</font>

That's the LAST darn thing we need. They have already managed to eliminate a HUGE portion of the NE Lower Peninsula herd with their TB "problem" by handing out multiple over the counter doe tags. What we really need is for the DNS ( Don't Know Squat ) to learn how to do their job properly !

/ Feeding the deer during heavy snowfall... #49  
Junk I built the wife a large trough bird feeder that she fills with sunflower seed and corn. The deer figured where it sat years ago and clean up at night what the birds miss during the day. They really seem to like the corn cause they keep coming back for more. If she would just quit feeding them I might be able to swing a new cabbed TN-70D.......naw! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif