Square watermelons

/ Square watermelons #2  
And then tomatos, and grapes, and let us not forget peas. (Solved the problem of eating peas with a knife!)

Steve

/ Square watermelons #3  
I saw something similar to this with square tomotoes many years ago. The reason was similar; could use one slice of tomotoe to cover a whole sandwich to the corners.

Never cought on. Probably too expensive like these watermelons...

The GlueGuy

/ Square watermelons #4  
You better believe SOMEBODY has the money to buy it.

A friend of mine does landscape work in Washington DC. He has a client that wanted flowers in bloom, thousands of dollars in flowers and labor, planted on Feb 14th so her outdoor rock garden would look proper for her Val-day party. He explained that they would freeze and die that night. She didn't care and had it done, then paid him the next week to come back and dig out all the dead plants. She's done it every year since.

Steve

/ Square watermelons #5  
Farmers overseas got too much time on their hands. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

SHF

/ Square watermelons #6  
They were developing square tomatoes to pack better. It is not enough that many store bought tomatoes don't taste as good as the box they came in. Selective breeding for taste and texture are way down the priority list after not spoiling too fast, survive shipping, look right red on shelf for long time, and on and on. So now we have tomatoes that look great for a long time, survive rough handling but taste like a photograph of a tomato.

Now watermelons!

/ Square watermelons
"tomatoes that look great for a long time, survive rough handling but taste like a photograph of a tomato"

Well stated! The worst thing about winter is that I can't grow tomatoes. One of these days I'd like to build a greenhouse!

/ Square watermelons #8  
Vegetables have to look better longer, otherwise the corporate farmers couldn't make enough profit. The tomatoes would be going bad in the warehouse before they even hit the store shelves.

SHF

/ Square watermelons #9  
I feel better now about the amount I spent on my FEL. It cost me less than 33 watermelons.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
tractor.gif
Here's a link with pricing info on Kubota B series tractors.

/ Square watermelons #10  
Square peas are not needed:

"I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
If makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife."

Ray